Friday, October 30, 2009

When life gives you lemons...

It is raining in Illinois. Again. Still. 23 out of the last 30 days it has rained, more than any October in the last 80+ years. I vaguely remember sunshine.

Today, I quit bitching, put on my wellies and went for a walk in the rain with my dog. Look at the yellows! My front yard  is an oasis, an eruption of yellows and browns with some pink thrown in for fun. Today, I am grateful for the rain that let these colors bloom, and for the snowglobe falling leaf extravaganza. As always, the camera didn't even come close to capturing the depth of color.

I didn't plant these shrubs, they are native viburnums that love the shade of the oak and hickory trees, and the ungodly amounts of rain this month. They remind me of daffodils and narcissus.











I don't remember a fall this pretty since I've lived in the midwest, and I have to thank the rain.

Thanks, rain. But enough already, OK?

3 comments:

  1. I think I love the rain- no matter how long it lasts. But it's the constant grayness that gets to my soul. But look at that color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking us on your walks with you. Soul-restoring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I love your dog!
    Great pics.
    Thanks for your comments on my blog. So fun to find a new friend. And two of my fave books are Bird by Bird and A Prayer for Owen Meany too. Yay for Terrariums. I have to admit I've never heard of Library Thing. But I just looked it up. How wild.
    So, hey, nice to meet you buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....