These things I saw in my yard today:
Mayapple Blossom
Lily of the Valley
Peony with Ants
Forget Me Nots
Viburnum
Columbine
Robin Eggs
Ferns at Sunset
These words I read and wondered why I had never read them before,
or if I had, I wonder how could I have forgotten them:
I mark’d, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
Mark’d how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
It launch’d forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
Ever unreeling them—ever tirelessly speeding them.
And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,—seeking the spheres, to connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form’d—till the ductile anchor hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
Thanks to Ze Frank's The Show for the link to this poem, and for reminding me to appreciate the way the internet helps us to find people who think like us, and that the thoughts that sometimes make us feel the most lonely are the also the thoughts that have the most potential to make us feel connected.
Thanks to the blogger who suggested I memorize a poem, and to the one who recommended I write one down and carry it in my pocket. I wish I could remember which ones and give credit, but I blog hopped down too many paths today. At least I got outside for a while and walked a path of my own.
Ciao for now.
Those blue eggs in the nest made me gasp!
ReplyDeleteThank-you for them.
I am constantly amazed by the way my blogging buddies impact me with their thoughts, comments, poems. My life is enriched in ways I could never have imagined before I entered into this world. And thank you for the Whitman poem, it's perfect.
ReplyDeletetipping in to say hello. and thank you.
ReplyDeleteOne more thing: there were mayapples in the novel I was reading last night, and, not knowing what they are, I remembered seeing your photo here!
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely shots! The columbine made me think of synchronized swimmers and the robin's eggs made me gasp with pleasure.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful post. Thank you. You're farther ahead in spring that we are. The viburnum is especially lovely.
ReplyDeleteAnd tomorrow is Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day, so I'm glad you have one ready! I'd like to recommend something by William Stafford, a peace-loving man. Here are some of his poems: http://williamstafford.org/spoems/index.html
Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day, Mel! This is a beautiful post, especially the viburnum. Ok, and the Lily of the Valley. And the eggs.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to suggest you have a poem from William Stafford in your pocket today! http://www.poemhunter.com/william-stafford/
Look at those Lilies of the Valley--wonderful! Where are the robin parents?
ReplyDeleteWe have discovered a little birdnest with two birds in it under our deck. So clever.
Michelle, I startled mama robin when I walked around the side of the house yelling for the dog. She is nested about 5 feet up in our tall shrubs. I left quickly so I hope she came back quickly. I'm afraid to check on them, don't want to spook her.
ReplyDeleteBetsy, Thanks for the poem link. I feel like it was you who told me to put a poem in my pocket on your blog maybe?
Thanks to all who commented, the robin eggs made me gasp too.
(Sorry I commented twice -- I had some technical difficulty and thought it disappeared.)
DeleteAw Mel, would you believe that is one of the first poems I ever read of WW's and one that I memorized when I was but a tween? Talk about feeling connected. You just made my heart grow 2 sizes bigger, I am sure.
ReplyDeleteOff to watch Ze Frank.
And beautiful pictures! Those eggs!
Goodness, where do you live?
ReplyDeleteWow!