Mr. Bradbury sure knew how to capture the fleeting moment.
I learned from his book title and story that Farewell Summer is another name for what I call Goldenrod, one of my favorite fall flowers. I never thought of them as a goodbye to summer, but they will forever be that for me now, just like the pink of the sedums is Hello, Fall.
I walked a lovely trail this week through a field filled Gold.
Everywhere I looked there was something marvelous.
The lighting was perfect for photos, but I only had my phone.
There's something about the blue of September skies.
Maybe it's the contrast with the golden flowers.
I saw this dead pine and was sad, especially because I have this same variety of dead pine in my yard this year.
I'm not sure what did them in, the sap suckers or the drought, but they're done.
I'm not sure what did them in, the sap suckers or the drought, but they're done.
There was a controlled burn to kill the weeds, and I noticed dozens, then hundreds of baby pine trees, and I smiled.
The big tree wasn't gone at all, just transformed into something new.
Something hopeful.
This is my favorite time of year, when the sun is warm, but not too hot.
The leaves are just thinking about turning.
It's when the leaves are gone that the idea of winter settles in, that I get anxious.
For what, I'm not sure. Maybe to live somewhere temperate.
Maybe for time to slow down.
For now, I'll indulge in some guilty pleasures, like my book on the sunny porch.
Tucker naps while I read, and I'm jealous, because I'm not a person who can take a nap.
But I'm glad for the company.
That boy loves a pillow.
I'll be flying east in a few days, to visit family for a week, in the land of mostly dial up.
Going to spend some time with Cousin Lee, while she's still Lee.
I'll be scarce, but I'll be back.
With lots of pictures.
Farewell, until then.
Post Script:
September 11 2012 marks the eleventh anniversary of our loss of innocence as a nation, on a golden sunny day like this one. I wasn't going to write about it, as I have no words, but it's very much on my mind. I wish we could bid farewell to the wounds opened on that day.


I just spent the weekend in Maine with a labradoodle :) Cuteness. We cuddled.
ReplyDeleteDoodles love to cuddle! Maine, I'm envious. I haven't been that far North up the coast since I was a young girl, but I remember how beautiful it was, and I long to go back.
ReplyDeleteYour phone photos seem to do justice to the colors and the changes they indicate. I didn't even know there was a sequel to "Dandelion Wine." As one who has always been able to nap and always enjoyed it, you may want to count your blessings for those hours you don't surrender to sleep. There is much to be said for living in a temperate climate as one looks at winter in other parts of the country. We sacrifice the sharp contrast of seasons but I am too old for ice and snow.
ReplyDelete"The lighting was perfect for photos, but I only had my phone." I wonder what someone in 1965 would make of this line. I'm tempted to go back (via my time machine) and find out.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!
They like them don't they? Pillows. He's so cute.
ReplyDeleteLovely post. You always make me think a little deeper about my surroundings, Mel. Thank you for that.
I'm not a napper either. But I have often felt that to be a blessings. As Ms. Kelly said above, more hours for you to observe and not surrender to sleep. And you do observe so well.
Have a good time visiting your cousin. I'll look forward to your return.
Ah- so many of the images you gave us today are the ones I see right here, right now.
ReplyDeleteI especially love this:
"The big tree wasn't gone at all, just transformed into something new.
Something hopeful."
If only we humans could figure out that this is how it should be.
Dear Mel,
ReplyDeleteI shall read "Farewell Summer." Thank you for telling me about this book.
I love your walk and gentle ways. "Hello Autumn" and may your September days be filled with joy.
I too send blessings to all who suffer because of 9/11.
May we find a way to live in harmony.
Have a fun trip.
Sherry, who dances with butterflies
I am reading a book of stories to honor Ray Bradbury after his farewell to the world. I love your pictures; it amazes me how good the cellphone pictures have become! I welcome fall!
ReplyDeleteI have not read a lot of Bradbury, but I have requested the two books from the library. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of the goldenrod!! Ours is mostly done for the year...
Beautiful photographs, nicely is to admire such views. I am greeting
ReplyDeleteFarewell, Summer-I don't know that one. I loved Dandelion Wine. I read it when I was a teenager.
ReplyDeleteDrought-here too. Leaves are falling, the ground is dry and hard. The vine maples are beautiful in the mountains-red/gold/yellow.