See the hawk just above Tucker's head? He doesn't like dogs very much.
Oh my. The butterflies this year, clouded sulphurs, they were everywhere, by the thousands. This was their year, statistically speaking. The clover and alfalfa were being cut by an old tractor, and the butterflies were concentrating in the last uncut field.
It was the best thing ever. Magical. Look:
Tucker was oblivious to the dozens of butterflies flitting around him.
This was the largest puddling, I'm guessing because of the minerals in what I'm also guessing is coyote scat. There is a metaphor in here somewhere.
I walked past at least five large gatherings. Surely they are doing more than we can know here.
There was an occasional dead butterfly on the trail. I learned that their lifespan is from a few days to a few weeks. The ground will be covered with them like fallen leaves soon.
My walk began and ended with the butterfly swarms, with a nice interlude in the wooded trail. Our record breaking cold snap got rid of most of the mosquitoes.
Some of the leaves are starting to turn, and the last blooms of the season are lovely goldenrod and white and lavender asters. Lunchtime walks are the worst for photographs, since everything washes out. If I knew how to work my camera, there's probably some adjustments I could make. Or I could just get up and get going sooner when the light is right.
There are hundreds of butterflies in this picture, trust me.
Definitely one of my best walks ever. Thanks, nature for the show. xo
Yep. Butterflies love poop. Which is wonderful. My walks are filled with flowers and butterflies right now too. We actually have more wild bloom in the fall than in the spring. It is so lovely.
ReplyDeleteThat is definitely a wonderful thing to see! I'm glad you were there and could share the walk with me. Amazing! :-)
ReplyDeleteI was lucky enough to be on the guide staff for a 7 day canoe trip through the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande during a butterfly migratory season. So many beautiful butterflies.
ReplyDeleteWe were told to hang a banana peel outside in hopes that it would attract butterflies. I didn't see one. Maybe I should send for coyote scat.
ReplyDeleteLike a butterfly on a turd, so are the days of our lives!
ReplyDeleteI'm no Mary Moon! Lol!
Gorgeous walk pictures! The colors are turning here rather quickly as we had a couple of killing frosts and a bit of snow. Then yesterday it was 27C so the weather is being manic.
When the butterflies were on the ground they reminded me of little sailboats out on a regatta. I can't even imagine seeing so many butterflies at one time! I understand the mid-day issue of taking photos and as yet haven't found out what I could do to improve an image except, like you said get out earlier or later in the day with long shadows and lovely light.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen clusters of butterflies like that!!! Amazing!!! As for walking early, there are times that I have woken up part way through a walk - all the preparations are so automatic that I can do it in my sleep...
ReplyDelete