Monday, September 28, 2015

The Road Less Traveled


Campers log 9/16- 9/17 2015


It's been thirty years since we camped and hiked and sat around a camp fire for dinner, but we slipped back into it like it was yesterday. Our backpacking and tent days are behind us, but we are still calling this camping, even though it is so easy with an RV.

It's a wonderful thing to set off on an adventure with map open to any possible destination and nowhere to be but wherever we end up. We ended up in some really cool places in our home state.

It started like this, on a glorious midwestern summer day. I can't remember a lovelier onset to Fall.

Into the great wide open:


 Miles and miles of corn and soybeans ready to harvest.




 Golden soybean fields, blue skies, puffy clouds, perfect.

Our plan was simple. Stay off the highway, get used to driving the rig, see the sights and camp at any of a number of Illinois State Parks. 

Our GPS played some games with us, leading our rig down multiple gravel roads with low hanging branches, and barely enough room for us but thankfully, no traffic. The payoff was fantastic.




We rounded the bend in Twist Road to cross Franklin Creek, 
where heron stood in the water next to the limestone outcrops.


The Franklin Creek Grist Mill was closed, so we walked the trails nearby.



The view looking back up at the bridge we crossed.










The nature trail meandered along the creek and through the prairie, full of wildflowers, birds, bees and glorious sunshine.


 Our rig looked gigantic next to the old oak tree.  

We walked about, disappointed that the Mill was closed, and decided to move along to the park we were heading for. As we were getting ready to go, a man in a pickup truck pulled up and asked if we were leaving. We said yes, and he said don't! If you can wait 10 minutes I'll get the keys and open up for you. You're in luck because I'm grinding today.  So we had a quick picnic on the grass and tied up Tucker for our private tour, only to be invited to bring him along too!

 

Opening the valve to let the water flow.


The inner workings were fascinating.


The Mill sounded like church bells inside and out.





We learned that the stones were imported French Burr, a very strong quartz stone, found only in small pieces, requiring cement and a metal ring to hold in place.

Of course I bought some organic delicious stone ground corn meal and a cookbook too.
What a fantastic historic site, and all done by volunteers and donations. What a great find.

Next stop, Franklin Creek Nature area, where we hiked lovely stream side trails filled with rocks, mosses, fungi, ferns and huge trees. I asked my husband to stand next to this one for scale and he gave the tree a hug.



Mr. Tucker loved the trails and all the new trees to smell and pee on.



On to the destination in our GPS, Morrison-Rockwood State Park. We made a reservation online through reserveamerica.com and paid $20 for a campsite with electricity, plus $5 online fee.



It was a lovely campground and campsite, and we picked an almost perfect wooded secluded lot.


Except for the knee high poison ivy everywhere, it was perfect. I was on high alert and kept a close eye where Tucker put his nose because I spent August scratching poison ivy.  

The camp site, our gear and our rig worked out great. We got a nice fire going, made dinner and watched the moon rise.


Our only mishap - I forgot to pack coffee. I had sugar, creamer, cups. No coffee.
Luckily the park had concessions and I was able to get us our morning fix.


The view from that bench was fantastic.


On the road again, on River Road, passing through Castle Rock State Park (we missed the turn!) and on to Lowden State Park for a day hike and to check out the campgrounds for next time.





Nice hiking trails, again with lots of moss and mushrooms.


Man made ones too. This one is ironic, isn't it?



I almost missed the tiny mushroom on top. 


Now we know what to do with our next dead tree :)

We had a nice picnic after our hike and then packed up for the ride home.




It was as lovely going as it was coming.

I spent much of the ride home scouring the map for our next adventure,
to be continued......



7 comments:

  1. Tucker seems especially happy to be with Mom and Dad out in the open country. What a lucky puppy !
    I would definitely call that a camping trip in the "best" sense of the word. And I bet you came home so very, very renewed and calmed.

    I always click on your pictures, Mel, so that I can see the beautiful details that pops out. Those clouds seem almost unreal, and so close to the earth, really beautiful and the bugs on the flowers, sweet. Thanks so much and I will look forward to the next trip !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful adventure! And now you will be out and about more and more, I see. I hope you always remember to take pictures and share them like you did here. Thanks for taking me "along" with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip. I haven't camped in about 15 years. Maybe we'll get a little trailer and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are spectacular. Your trip seemed restful -- how wonderful that you got to do that. I especially admire you admitting that you're done with sleeping bags and tents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are spectacular. Your trip seemed restful -- how wonderful that you got to do that. I especially admire you admitting that you're done with sleeping bags and tents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures!! Mr. Tucker is one happy man. What a fun trip. I'm glad you're out roaming.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....