Saturday, October 10, 2015

Day Hike at the Mississippi Pallisades

9/27/15

We head out from Apple River Canyon early, and take Ridge Road west, toward the Mississippi River. I couldn't stop snapping pictures out the window of the lovely open and mostly empty roads, the farmhouses, the fields, the vistas.  We could see for miles, into Wisconsin to our right and Illinois to our left. 









Big surprise, our GPS took us down more narrow gravel roads. We are getting good at gauging tree limb heights by now.



Again, more trees defying gravity.


This park had several entrances and a huge campground. We drove around and with the help of the map, headed toward as many overlooks and trails as we could fit into one day.

First stop, lovely poison ivy. Ick.


Down a short path to this view of the Mississippi. 




The trails were described as rugged, and they were. They were also crawling with poison ivy. 
We had to be very careful where the dog stuck his nose.


The rocks did not disappoint.



It's hard to get the scale of these rocks from the photos. They were huge.



Our last trail of the day was the best, to Sentinel Rock. 



Lots and lots of steps, rocks and wooden ones, and one memorable part of the trail involved 72 wooden stair steps, quite the workout.


But it was worth it for the view from up top.


A pair of climbers had just finished their ascent. 


Our trail down came around the back side of the cliff and was filled with ferns, mosses and mushrooms.


And more statuesque rocks.





It's a wonder I didn't fall off the edge snapping pictures of pretty things like this mushroom...


Or these amazingly twisted branches...


I could have stared at this one for a long time, but I had to keep up with the boys.



Another park crossed off our list, another great day of sunshine, exercise and scenery.

We aren't sure where we are headed next, but likely north into upper Wisconsin for some fall colors.

To be continued....


6 comments:

  1. Oh. I sort of really want to do this now.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best. An adventure together. Now this is how you do the empty nest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful place! Thank you so much for sharing this with me, Mel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mushroom on the side of the tree looks like a huge moth, beautiful. And the twisty branches - whoa - I would have been stuck there all day too. How does that happen? They aren't vines, they really are tree branches, amazing. These memories are really going to keep you going through all those winter days when the snow there is a couple of feet deep and Tucker can barely get outside to do his business.!

    Well, I'm off to look at your Flicker slideshow. I just saw that link. Maybe it's been there for awhile...but my eye missed it.
    Thanks for more fun pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My God....omg. How long has that link been there?? I can't believe I never saw it. I don't even know what to say Mel, that won't sound sappy or ..whatever..but those photos are amazing. I mean , really.
    I love, loved so many of them that I can't begin to point them out....well, the crystalline rose and the iced rosehips - the bugs on the flowers, the bees on that bunch of white flowers...I love that abandoned house with the wrap around porch and the heavy cloud, cloud, cloud one's. You are more than amateur. These are really very, very nice photos. I have booked marked it to come back to as often as I need a break from life, that would be daily..Ha!
    Just an aside...I forwarded the link to a friend of mine who is ga ga for nature (she reminds me of you) and told her to look all the way through because you have a picture of her bookcase near the end...swear to god...that looks exactly! like her bookcase, you both read the same books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these camping posts! Your little rig is just perfect foe two love bugs and a pooch!
    I'm only jealous because mine is tucked away for the winter, but oh man, ain't life grand sometimes when it's viewed from a windshield or a trail?
    (No wonder your kids play volleyball...they got legs like their dad!)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....