Monday, January 4, 2016

Hello 2016

This was supposed to be a Christmas post. And a New Year's wish. It's late.
Still, wishing us all a kind, happy, healthy and lucky trip around the sun again this year.

I've been too busy living to write much lately but I wanted to share and record for my own poor memory my favorite media finds of 2015.

Heres all the good stuff  I have consumed or had consume me. Excellent diversions, some pure entertainment, others profoundly life affirming.

Sorry about the wonky link colors, my HTML skills are too rusty to figure it out.

Books:

Memoir:   When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanith   Heartbreaking, humbling, profound writing. I'm grateful for the advance copy from LibraryThing.

Fiction:  Reamde by Neal Stephenson  Insane page turner, 1042 pages of Clancy/Grisham/Stieg Larsson on steroids, found in a free library pile and inhaled in 3 days. Soon to be a TV series and I can't wait.

Biography:  Maude by Donna Foley Mabry   An inexpensive and unforgettable kindle download. I will not complain about my lot in life again, ever.


TV/Film:

Documentary: Of Ants and Men - E.O. Wilson   I adore E.O Wilson, and this is one of the best documentaries I've ever watched. The link has the entire 2 hour show. I've watched it twice.

Movie:  The Big Short by Adam McKay   I love that the director found the humor/irony edge in this infuriating true story of greed and stupidity.

TV/Netflix Binges:  Homeland, Manhattan, Rectify, Bloodline, The Blacklist. Anything about tiny home living. I'm trying not to add another series to the list.


Music: (Links to youtube)

Album:  Global by Todd Rundgren  Blind    Soothe   Rise   Todd's social commentary is spot on, and his music is constantly evolving. Took me a few listens to fall in love with his newest sound. Seeing him live in December was a highlight.

New Artist: My son got me to check these guys out. Amazing harmonies, great timeless sound. Sounds like James Taylor harmonies with a southern rock vibe. I bought the Utah album and love it.
Jamestown Revival - Golden Age | Live at OnAirstreaming
Jamestown Revival - California (Cast Iron Soul)

Youtube Magical Musical Rabbit hole:  German Music:

Die Toten Hosen // „Tage wie diese"

Herbert Grönemeyer - Mensch
Herbert Grönemeyer - Bochum
Xavier Naidoo - Ich kenne nichts (das so schön ist wie du)

The German music has been a huge surprise. I've listened to them all repeatedly. I know a dozen German words from my childhood and had no idea what the songs were about but I could tell by the emotion. I ran some side by side lyrics in German and English and loved the message in all of them.
I wish to speak German now, and maybe I'll start. Why not?



Games:
Cards against Humanity and Exploding Kittens gave us plenty of laughs.
Wordbrain on our phones distracted us to no end. 

The best part of this year has been our relative health and lovely little family, all doing well. I wouldn't dare to ask for more.

I don't have a big pile of resolutions or notions about this year yet. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.


How about you? What was your favorite diversion in 2015?

xo



5 comments:

  1. Ah- so good to see you here again! Glad to hear that all is well.
    Diversions for 2015? Waiting for babies, playing with babies? And waiting still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog but have never commented. What a great new year post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great links. Happy new year friend. I can't wait to read those books and watch those films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to see The Big Short. I haven't seen it around here yet, but when it comes, I'll be there. I loved Maude, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy and adventurous new year to you!
    Wrote down several of your books and movies, I think we like the same things so thanks so much for the info.

    Right now I'm investigating home buying, dare I say it. Or that could be not home buying depending on how silly they think my finances are. But I'm trying to be grown up and brave. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....