Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day

PBS POV is airing a documentary tonight in honor of Veteran's Day.

The Way We Get By

If you have a tv, the time or the inclination, you should watch it.

The trailer leaves me in pieces:





For several years I coordinated a used book sale with our elementary school. One of the charities we gave extra books to was Operation Paperback, started ten years ago by a military wife whose husband asked her to send books to him overseas. It is an amazing charity, as rewarding as any I've ever supported. It is very personal and challenging to find specific requests and send them directly to servicemen and women, and even more humbling to receive the emails and letters of thanks, to really understand what a book can mean to someone living in a war zone. Some read to escape and destress on their downtime, others want textbooks to help plan for a life when they return home, while others collect children's books to start local libraries in needy communities. A thing of beauty.

Anyway, Operation Paperback is promoting this very touching documentary about elderly troop greeters in Bangor Maine.

It is very sobering to remember how long we have been at war and how far off peace can seem sometimes.



Hope you have a safe and peaceful Veteran's Day!



4 comments:

  1. What a great program! I am going to check that out. I would love to send books to soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The documentary looks wonderful. Will have to try to get my hands on it sometime.

    I spent a lot of time pondering my Grampy yesterday. He fought in the first world war along with his 4 brothers. All 5 came home alive. On Remembrance day, he and my Uncle Archie would sit out on the porch and drink and sing (I remember hearing "It's a Long Way From Tipperary"). Sometimes they would cry. And I remember the other adults retreating from them in a kind of respectful awe, while they had their day of remembrances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wandered here from somewhere, and thank you so much for posting this.
    Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....