Thursday, October 4, 2012

Autumn Eye Candy

How can I be anything but happy to open my front door to this?


Or lucky to share it with a furry friend?


One week a year I am blessed with this lovely golden yellow canopy.


Tucker knows this is my favorite little tree and he waits patiently while I take too many photos.


The colors and hues change daily.


My favorite trick is to catch the sun through the leaves.




I pull up a chair and sit right in the midst of it for a good look.


This year's drought brought a new twist, half dead leaves.


I find them mesmerizing. They make me want to play with paints.





So much variation on one plant.


I experiment with the light - morning, evening. Both have their allure.





 Raspberry or lemon shebert?




I'm like a junkie for the scenery. I'm sure some brain chemicals are involved.
Everywhere I look I'm amazed by the colors I see.


I do this each year, take hundreds of photos of the fall leaves, each year is different and lovely in its own way. 
Each year I'm a little bit more grateful to be able to notice the world around me.

The leaves are falling so quickly, the wind is gusting with a cold front behind it.
Fleeting, too soon gone. Hence the pictures.

And this music in my head:




I have Virginia Creeper and dogwood and blackberry and so many other leaves waiting for their portraits to be edited and shared. 

Until then.



7 comments:

  1. Mel! These photographs are mesmerizing! Thank you for taking me along for the nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those leaves are indeed like paintings. Thank you for showing me your beautiful autumn abundance. I enjoyed the journey very much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are a lucky girl, Mel. What incredible beauty awaits you each morning! And you do such a nice job with your camera sharing it with us. Loved those 1/2 dead leaves. I've never seen anything like that! Isn't the gift of sight amazing?!

    I'm lucky too that we have this same intensity of color here. I always try to preserve some, but the intensity of never quite lasts - your camera does a better job. Thanks so much for sharing - and Vivaldi was a perfect choice :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the best part of this entry is that you've chosen to post photos of half-dead leaves. The dead and decaying side of nature is as beautiful as those things that are in their prime, but few choose to acknowledge that. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those portraits of the individual leaves! Each one is different, and beautiful!!
    I agree with you about the light coming through them being almost intoxicating!! And cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these photos are utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, here too. And they flit by, like spring, so soon gone.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....