Tuesday, June 11, 2013

You can't take a picture of this....

Because it's already gone.
Really, it is.

Those lilacs? The scent went from intoxicating to nauseating in a few days.
It went so fast it made me dizzy.
All gone now, brown and crispy flower petals are all that remain.



Those iris? They were magnificent. They really were.



All gone now too.

All that fur on my furry, furry dog, who dragged in all those little petals and seed pods and things that fall off the honey locust, hickory and birch trees? He brought in pounds of that stuff. 



Well, that fur is gone now too. His tail still brings in more than it should, but it's better.



Here's what remains: wild roses and viburnums.
White, fragrant and fleeting.
Gone in a matter of days, maybe hours at this point.



And some hardy roses and catmint. I think that's it, until the daylillies and sedum and coneflower burst forth for their moment in the sun.


I'm learning that that's just how it goes, brief, brilliant waves of colors and smells, a frantic rush to bloom and reproduce and then gone. It's never long enough for me, always too fast and frantic, and I try, I do, to walk among them, sit near them, smell the fragrances, marvel at the delicacy and tenacity and miracle of it all, to take it all in.
And I take these pictures as a testament.
Here today,
gone tomorrow.


I learn this lesson over and over and over again.

And I hear these words in my head every time I run for the camera to catch the things that take my breath away:

You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone.

But I try, I try. It's what I do.

What else can I do?


(scene from the finale from 6 feet under, one of my favorite shows ever - extended clip at the bottom of my blog page if you're feeling nostalgic for the whole clip....)

Take those pictures anyway,
they help us to remember the good stuff.

xo


8 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Take the picture now, because tomorrow it won't be here. Our lilacs and Rhododendrons are all gone now, and the roses are starting. Beautiful time of the year, and your pictures are stunning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the older we get, the more we appreciate it all while it is here. Because who knows? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful lilacs! I'm jealous. Love Tucker's hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of it is lovely! Especially the new doggie 'do!

    -heartinhand

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the reason the lilacs and the peonies and all the rest are so precious to us is because the season is so fleeting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely. June IS A busting out all over. And Tucker, what a vehicle for spreading the love and the seeds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the iris. I have a coffee cup that isn't exactly that color, but I like to imagine it is. And when that coffee cup and the white cereal bowl come up on the same morning... YES. I guess it's the little things.

    I'm sorry that you've been motherfucking weeping. (Not that I'm stalking you all over the internet or anything. That would be CREEPY!)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....