Monday, July 15, 2013

Garden Mystery Solved, mostly

Well the "is it poisonous or not" plant turned out to be a ground cherry. It can make humans sick but wildlife love the berries in the fall. The roots are edible too. I grabbed this picture off the internet. I already pulled most of them because the garden is over run in the worst way.


Remember this? Early June??


Well now it's this:


And this:

And my mystery squash/pumpkin?

It's this:




At first I got all excited, thinking it was a zucchini summer squash hybrid, but it's as hard as a rock.
Then I remembered the decorative squash we bought at Halloween, and realized this is their mutant offspring. It has lapped the garden twice, and between the one giant tomato plant and the monster squash, my garden is unable to sustain normal plant life. 



It's a travesty. But I'm letting it go. Enjoy the compost, and I suppose I'll have tomatoes for twenty when they ripen. I could have worse problems than being as chaotic and disorganized in my garden as I am in my life :)

Happy Summer.






6 comments:

  1. Glad you discovered what the plants are. I recognize the decorative gourd squash!.And a happy summer back to you, Mel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it is interesting!!! And the rest of the yard is behaving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some things in my garden did well this year, others not so good. I should quit trying zucchini as the squash vine borers get them every year or else the little baby fruits turn yellow and fall off before the flowers ever open. out of 6 zucchini plants, we maybe got sic zucchinis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardens are meant to be out of hand at this time of year. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, the squash will take over the entire yard if you're not careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How in the world did that happen?? Gardens are still a mystery to me overall, but I am envious of your piece of land on which to grow all these mysterious hybrid plants :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....