Thursday, February 11, 2010

Good Things

Thanks to Bethany over at Bloom, I'm having a grateful moment here in the frigid midwest. She reminded me of the new bulbs I planted that will bloom in a few months. Here are a few of my favorites from last Spring:






In less than 2 months, they will be back, this time with new tulips and alliums!

Here's another good thing, in a sideways and silly kind of way. Yesterday morning we had a rare earthquake in IL and I live 8 miles from the epicenter. Nothing cracked, nothing broken, just a few of my tinies fell off their shelves and luckily none broken. I've been collecting these since I was about 7 years old. They are my version of treasure:


See the tiny clay critters on the right? The horse and vulture both fell off the shelf but did not break. Those I bought in high school about a million years ago. I always thought I'd get crafty and make such things, but have not yet.

But feeling the earth move beneath you - it's mighty humbling and makes for some serious gratitude. Especially when it sounds like an explosion or bomb happening out your window. I live in a lucky time and place, and I am grateful.

Here's something that's good for me, but sucks for people I love. I'm not here:


Kinda funny, except they got an unprecedented 22 inches of rain last year following the worst drought in ages the year before that, with just under 9 inches. The weather is wreaking havoc on my homeland. Southern or slower Delaware doesn't get much snow, so they weren't prepared to handle the almost 2 feet they got, let alone the 2 inches of sleet on top of that. The news is awful, roofs are collapsing all over the place: Walmarts, Big Lots, churches, schools and over 50 chicken houses so far. Growing chickens is the economic mainstay in the area, besides farming. It is devastating. But my family is safe, and warm, and their roofs are holding, and the weather is letting up, thankfully, so they can begin to dig out.

So hooray for good things, and especially for sunshine and blue skies.



OK, one more good thing. Music. Music!! I'm not named Melody for nothing. I'm happy my music player at the bottom of this page pops out and can hang out with me all morning. Go ahead, help yourself. The little square on the top right pops it out so you can listen too, there's something in there for everyone. I've been enjoying the heck out of some other bloggers' music. Future post fodder.

11 comments:

  1. Crocuses remind me of being a little girl.

    Beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to see those bulbs today.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gray and wet here, coming to visit brings warmth and smiles. I read about the earthquake and wondered, as I often do, what is going on with the Pachamama. She must be tired of our foolishness and our disregard for the environment and sending some stern reminders about who is in charge. I am glad your treasures remain intact. Thank you for the smiles Mel, I need them today.

    Allegra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allegra, giving you smiles is my pleasure. Wishing you more warmth, sunshine and blooms soon, and as always, love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the eye-delights. Thank-you for the words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, such pretty pictures of flowers! The colors are very vibrant and lively.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the funny pics at the end but loved the flower pictures more - they give me hope that spring is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mel, I'm so glad you wrote this post, love the photos and hope and good things.
    Allium! I wish I'd planted some of those. I didn't realize they were a fall type bulb.
    Big purple ones?
    It's funny that you mention music. I was thinking after I made my list how happy music makes me every single day.
    You're right on.
    Dance and sing and be happy. Spring soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little treasures! They remind me of one of the pages I did for our art collab! You'll see and you'll know 'zactly what I'm talking about. *anticipatory grin*

    The flower pics are wonderful. Spring will come, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos. Glad you are okay from the earthquake. I experienced one in Scotland years ago. Very interesting to go through one.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, color as a balm on the winter soul. There is a stark beauty in the Midwestern winter, but that hint of spring is intoxicating!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....