Thanks to the NASA picture a day (APOD) website for sharing it with me. Their images are amazing, and I can lose hours marveling at pictures from earth and in space:


I'm so enamored with NASA's Earth Observatory site that I get email updates from them. Anything noteworthy happening on planet earth is usually uplinked from satellite data within hours. These are amazing times, my friends. Here are a few of my recent favorites:
The most recent east coast snowstorm.
The Gulf of Mexico
Waters off the BahamasLovely, yes?
Very lovely but sometimes when I look at pictures of the earth from space I get dizzy, I get a feeling of anxiety- this is it- this is all we have! And there are so many of us and what are we doing?
ReplyDeleteThe grandeur, also, makes me reel. I am not sure my ape-brain can take it all in. I feel as if my head might explode with it. But the alien-brain in me says, "Yes, that is what it looks like."
Oh wow. That first photo is astounding. I may need to make that my new screen saver. Now I'm going to watch the video...
ReplyDeleteI love both NASA and CERN for very different reasons. One because it shows me the beauty and the other because is looking for answers. Thank you for your comment today, it made my heart warm to know that someone can see through the fog others try and mostly fail to create. Science is scary to those who cannot understand it, and most of all, to those whose creed is don't confuse me with the facts. I should know.
ReplyDeleteIt's comforting to me to see the world become all abstract, like a painting. Like whatever I'm worried about is just another brushstroke.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could point to my peninsula in the picture of Maryland. I want to tell you "I live right....there!"
Nancy - It's my peninsula too! I was born in Salisbury and miss the Chesapeake very much....
ReplyDeletewe'll have to compare maps someday!
Gorgeous pictures and that video? Absolutely mesmerizing. I hesitated to click it when I saw the length, but I did anyway and before I knew it, it was over. As silly as it sounds, I never considered how very tiny our sun is. This video puts the awesome beauty of our Earth, solar system, galaxies into amazing perspective.
ReplyDeletethese are just amazing. gonna sit back and watch the video now.
ReplyDeletexo