Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The NeverEnding Story

No pretty pictures today, just whining.

I am so very tired. I slept fitfully, hot flashing, heart racing and dreaming a sick apocalyptic dream involving grabbing what I could from the house before it got looted and burned to the ground by bad guys with flamethrowers. To add to the excitement, the house is in flames while I try to get my kids to understand they need to grab clothes, food and blankets and run. Interestingly, the non-essential I grab is my collection of tiny things and I worry about them breaking. I'm surprised I didn't grab books and photos.

Not exactly restful. I awake to the cat walking on my hair to get to my bedside table and drink from my water glass. Pissed off before I get out of bed. And then...

Fifteen year old almost misses the 6:25 am bus because he can't find his backpack. Mom, Dad and clueless child scour the house, trying to locate the backpack, while child acts indignant like someone hid it from him, claiming he left it on the kitchen counter. It is under his sister's backpack on the floor of the den where he threw it when he got home. Did he look there? Yes. Did he look under anything? No. Dad saves the day, in the nick of time. And then...

Thirteen year old almost misses the 7:30 bus because she can't find the shoes and jacket she wore yesterday. Did I wear them? Did I hide them? Do I have a clue where she left them this time??? NO. Does she get indignant and snitty with me because she is running late and needs to blame someone? YES. Do I get mad back at her? You betcha. Is this the way I imagined parenthood? NOPE.

It's mornings like this where my 50 year old tired achy arthritic sore ass* questions the logic of desperately craving babies in my late 30's. I really am too old and tired for this shit. And I clearly have some adjustments to make with the ADD crowd and my morning attitude. My children are brilliant and clueless, just like their mom.

Things nobody told me about parenting and it's probably a good thing they didn't:

I would almost lose my mind from sleep deprivation and post partum hormone imbalances, and then again in a decade or so from menopause hormone imbalances and sleep deprivation.

I would love and protect them with a fierceness I didn't know I had in me, and live with fear of knowns and unknowns and what ifs with dread I can't hide from.

They grow and change so fast that it feels like being stuck on a merry go round.

Their teenage years and my menopause years are colliding in a perfect storm of crazy, chaotic hormonal madness.

When I talk to them, they hear Charlie Brown's mom. Waah Wha Wha Whaa Waaaah.

I would spend most of my time with them driving them to and from school and sporting events. In fact, most of our quality time happens in a car.

I'm not half the mom I thought I'd be, and they are infinitely more complicated than I could have imagined.

I give up on the battles I thought mattered to fight ones I didn't know existed.

This is the hardest job I have ever done - no breaks, no vacations, no pay, few perks, fuzzy performance appraisals - my contract is almost up and I'm unprepared for the deadline. I wonder how I can ever get them ready to live in the world when I barely know how myself.

My mom wasn't crazy all by herself, we helped make her that way.

All those parenting books I bought - about 50 by now - were mostly bullshit. The only one that helped was Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and maybe the What to Expect series. All the rest of them, especially the parenting without yelling genres, practically worthless, at least in this family, where no one is neurotypical or easy going. We're a bunch of introverted, intense, twitchy, inflexible, tag hating, food picky, ADD, OCD, technology addicted, organizationally impaired slobs. Welcome to the funhouse.

Of course, I wouldn't know what to change if I could change anything, or where to start. And I'll never regret for a second having these mind boggling children. I just needed a good whine. Done now. Thanks.



* sore ass compliments of tripping and falling into the fire pit and onto the fire grate while taking a picture. This brings the fall tally in the last three years to seven, if I'm remembering them all. I need to be really, really careful about the gravity problem before I break my neck.

12 comments:

  1. Well, I'd say you pretty much covered the whole parenting thing. And yeah- throw in the hormones and it's just one big ol' party.
    Be careful of that gravity, dear. It'll get you every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great and really honest post, Mel. I never thought about menopause crossing with teenage hormonal stuff. Poor you.

    You are loved.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of,, I cannot BElieve that you hid his backpack and borrowed her jacket and shoes and left them somewhere strange! So mean. ;)

    I am laughing out loud and groaning right along with you (and I don't even have the menopause yet to contend with!). I get blamed for everything too, according to my kids I must have strange predilections for hiding socks and scrumpling last night's homework into a little ball and throwing it under the couch. Oh, the indignant scowls when they are looking for something that I can't find!

    And all the rest is just bang on the money.

    "We're a bunch of introverted, intense, twitchy, inflexible, tag hating, food picky, ADD, OCD, technology addicted, organizationally impaired slobs."

    Srsly, are we related? Somehow we are drawing from the same gene pool I swear. It's like the blind leading the blind around here, as I try to teach my boys to be responsible and consistent and sociable, and heaven forbid, organized...none of which I have ever been able to attain or sustain myself. Humour, right? At least we have a huge dollop of appreciation for the idiosyncratic and the ironic mixed in with all that anti-social, awkward, sensorily raw stuff, and thank goodness for that.

    And stay upright, if at all possible. You've definitely already had your share of injuries in recent years! Love to you and those wonderful, crazy-making kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. E, I just love you. Thanks for making me laugh and for feeling more normal today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed it. It is all bullshit! But worth every bit of it.
    ...it does get better...as soon as they all leave!
    I have one left...and I'm going to party my ass off when he leaves. Somehow at 22...he has all the answers, and I'm just a bumbling old lady. Oh yeah...it gets worse before it gets better.
    Hang in there Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the joys of parenthood and menopause. One I've already done and the other has me in its grips as well speak. It's a good thing kids are cute, because many days, it's the only way they survive. From all of us who have been there, this too shall pass (the teenage years) and before you can blink twice, they are gone. I remember the angst (mine, not theirs), but there is life after teenagerdom. And you will become the smartest woman in the world when they have kids of their own. As for the menopause, I got nuthin'. I'm treading water there and hoping I can get through the next few months until it's finished with me! (See My Own Personal Summer at http://peripheralperceptions.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/my-own-personal-summer/) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much. You made my crabby old self laugh right out loud. I really can't imagine being menopausal and parenting teenagers. Someone would end up in pain if it were me doing this. I was one of those brain trusts that thought I knew all there was to know in my 20's, so I KNEW I should be a mother then. And I was. Had its own set of problems, but teenaged angst and hot flashed were not one of them. My little bundle of pure joy is now 36 and knows he knows it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved that summary of what you've learned. I'm a bit earlier on in the game - it's nice to get a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) nothing witty to add, but enjoyed reading your post. Note to self: grow up and stop glaring as if someone else is to blame when you can't find your car keys, glasses, shoes, jacket, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm with fom, loved the post, with all it's wonderful cranky frustrated honesty. I cannot imagine being in your shoes. taking care of me is more that enough lol. good for you! got team mel!

    and E your response was priceless. i love my mom gerdfriends XD ok love all ma gerdfriends, but i do love hearing about your moming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE THIS! I'm so tired I can't say anything worth saying. I laughed and shook my head. I've had that same dream many times. I'm going to go read myself to sleep and come back in the morning. That's if you didn't hide my book. I'm reading Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters. 'ni 'night! deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, so although I'm sorry you're going through this, this post made me feel SO much better. I thought I was the only one who hid backpacks and lunch money. My 4 year old already thinks I'm stupid. So dumb I should hardly be able to stand upright. I can't wait until I'm smart again. When does that happen anyway? When they're in their mid 20s or so? I wonder how grey my hair will be by then....

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....