Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chicago Sunrise At Sunset


A sliver of the moon, and my favorite daylillies, named Chicago Sunrise, at Sunset. The flash washes out some of their color, but they are still lovely.
These are planted in a hotter and sunnier spot, and fight coneflower and money plants for space, so they are smaller and lighter colored.

These shots are natural light, no flash, taken this morning, in the shade of the house. These are the happiest flowers in my yard. I love the variations between the two patches, one striped and pinker, the other curlier and more magenta. I am constantly surprised by the variations in thier color as seen by my eye and the camera. I'm sure time of day and lighting make all the difference.




They should be named Chicago Sunset though, don't you think?

And of course.....


Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers (or daylillies!)
Blossoming even as we gaze

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

8 comments:

  1. Another day lily lover! These are beautiful pictures.

    Day lilies change a lot as the day goes on.

    And the sunset pics -- glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, thanks for your Hill Country Mysteries comments.

    GORGEOUS IMAGES! I love the visual connection between the warm skies and flowers. Aren't daylillies a happy plant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely. Those colors never quite translate to paint. They are perfect and ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful. I need to branch out from my standard orange day lilies!

    Beautiful skies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel,
    Your photos knock my socks off. Lovely.

    As are you.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daylilies are the workhorses of the flower world, aren't they? And what lovely workhorses they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sunrise is the loveliest shot I've seen this week. Stunning. The daylily colors are so vivid, they don't even look real! And the sunset took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Wow those colors!

    I was home in Illinois last week and ate daylily buds for the first time. I had grown up next to a trail that is lined with the ubiquitious orange daylilies and never knew that they were edible. Not only edible, but delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....