Monday, July 12, 2010

When Oooh becomes Ewww...

I was taking some evening bees in the coneflower shots....

This new moth caught my eye, and, if you know me, you know a new kind of moth is a Big Deal. It was on my Joe Pye Weed, a native prairie perennial that grows from nothing to almost 10 feet of lovely pink blossoms every year. The bees and butterflies love it and so do I - it's amazing. So I'm in the shadow of monster flower trying to get way too many good pictures, up to my crotch in iris, daylily and lamb's ear. Butterflies are fluttering everywhere and there's three kinds of bees and I'm very still and distracted, trying to get a shot with the moth and butterflies in it.

It is an ermine moth or Ailanthus Webworm Moth. I love the design and colors.

Suddenly, I feel something wet on my foot. Moving. I look down and see this slug stretched almost 4 inches across the top of my foot, where the mary jane crocs don't cover it. I let out a moan/scream that starts low and ends high, hopping around and shaking my foot like a crazy person to fling it off.
Once I calmed down, I put my shoe next to it for scale - US women's 7 - and it climbed back on. Ew. It was harder to shake off the shoe than my foot. And the slime - gaak. I was completely repulsed and mesmerized at the same time.

How about that air hole? Ugh. It was the biggest freaking slug I have ever seen. I let it go, which was stupid, because it's been eating the heck out of the leaves of the Joe Pye. I didn't want to interact with it any more than I already had. It's a spotted garden slug, which one article said can grow up to 8 inches!! This one stretched out was maybe 6, and that was plenty.

So, garden photo OCD lesson learned. Eyes open and keep moving!

Sorry if I grossed you out!

6 comments:

  1. I saw a giant slug hauling a shell (so I guess it was a snail, right?) across the road the other day and I SO wished I'd had my camera.
    The moth is amazing. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful moth! But then I think the slug has a lovely elegance too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least it didn't squish between your toes! I've done that...that's a EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!

    Great photos! Of the Oh's and Eeww's!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow gorgeous moth. And scream, yes. Slugs are my worst thing. Also tomato worms (with the little horn on top)- so gross. You know how you sing up up up until your range stops and you CANNOT go higher? I had a slug on my foot once and my scream was higher! We were all astonished. It was like a whistle! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moth is amazing. The slug would have done me in.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....