Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Happy Wednesday Affirmations



It's hard to complain about the buckets of mulch, twigs, burrs and dead leaves he drags in on his moppy fur when he looks this darn cute. So my floors are awful. I'm lucky to have such problems, right?

Just like with the kids, I can't remember what I did with myself before he took up most of my attention during the day: let me in let me out play with me thirsty hungry whatchaeating play with me let me in let me out. He does have his perks, besides being cute. He protects me fiercly, he cracks me up, he makes me go out and play, take long walks in the woods, and he snuggles me when I'm cold or sad. Fair trade.

The kids take what's left in the evening: wheresmy didyouseemy ineed helpmestudy readtome hungry thirsty thisneedswashed ineedaride wheresthekleenex imsad scratchmyback hugmeonemoretime iloveyous we cram between school and sports and bed. We are all tired lately, and rightly so, as we rush through busy days.

And my poor husband gets what's left if he's not already snoring in bed: the exhausted, cranky shell of the girl he married 24 years ago, whose aches and pains and hot flashes and odd dreams and rampant thoughts ruin most night's sleep, wound so tight she's in no mood if he is still awake. I drag my glass of water, my glasses, the newspaper or book I meant to read yesterday, crawl into bed and count the hours until I have to get up and begin the Mommy show again. Before he has to get up and go make the doughnuts, as we say. I think my job has more perks, even if I am on call 24-7.

But it's still a fair trade, it's just a matter of perspective, isn't it? There are moments of cute and lovely and pure perfection in the backscratches, and the cramming for tests and the bringing of snacks and the hugs. Even the drudgery of the laundry and the dishes and the shopping is bearable if I think of the nurturing and love behind it, if I think of this as my vocation, my calling and my career, for now. I may no longer cash a check for my labors, but I do have a very important job, and I'm trying my best, even if my best feels like a gerbil wheel and often falls short of my ideals. I keep showing up every day, ready to work, trying to get it right, and I know that counts for something. And I also know that these days are fleeting, each one is a gift, even the ones that kindof suck. Like my Dad always said, beats the alternative. Thanks, Dad. Right, and to the point, as usual.

Have a happy Wednesday. I recommend sloppy puppy kisses and a good game of fetch, if all else fails.

ps I really meant to do a Wordless Wednesday, but I guess Wordless isn't in my vocabulary...

7 comments:

  1. I love love love your dog! Is he a goldendoodle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - Yes, he is, a doodle bred back to a poodle for exra curls. He is my orally fixated excited peeing adorable fluffball, my third child, named is Tucker. He's two years old, and he was a surprise from my husband. I'm still being surprised daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like an adorable muppet! All of what you describe has its moments. Usually they even out. The moments with that adorable dog will always come out ahead, I think. Of course, the kids and husband figure in as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it from me: these days will be gone all too soon, and you will wonder how it all went by so fast. Tucker is an absolute hoot! I have no pets at the moment and have grown accustomed to the quiet. Then I read something like this post and have twinges of sadness that those days are long gone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog is adorable. Really nice post, Mel. You have a good perspective on things.

    My Uncle Gene always says, "Beats the alternative," too.

    Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said! the mommy show lol. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tucker is edible, as always. I want to squeeze him so bad. And, sigh, all that life makes me envious, or at lease really admiring. Keep those other ones out. THIS is your life. deb

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....