Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Just Like That...

THIS...


.... turns into this:

One minute things are all sunny and happy and the next minute I'm in the dark, stubbing my pinkie toe, tripping over a nervous dog, looking for the damn flashlight and candles because the storm of the century is upon us... it's no fun getting teenagers out the door for school with the power out in total darkness, but we got it done.

October was the sunniest on record, EVER, beating the previous record set in 1958. No wonder I've been in a decent mood. I thought maybe hormones were leveling, but now I'm sure it was the sunshine. I'm glad my head was out of my ass far enough to notice it, appreciate it and revel in it. It was splendid.

Yesterday, the weather gods gifted us with a late October balmy sunny day that was too good to be true. Today, the storm cells cover 2200 miles of North America: the wind is howling, with gusts this morning at 60 mph, sustained at 30 or so. The house is shaking, the windows are rattling, and they're saying this will continue for 3 days. Damn. My little town had a small tornado destroy a barn, but otherwise we are lucky, destruction-wise. Weather-wise, we are screwed. It will be awful for about a week and when the winds and monsoons are gone, we'll be left with is bare trees and varying shades of gray and brown. Lucky for me, and for you, my lovely readers, or am I down to a reader! that I took many photos of the leaves this week, so I could remember them when they are gone. I'll share them in a later post. Here's the best one:



And so it goes.

Anyway, it wouldn't be a Mel post without a nature shot or too. In honor of the pending Halloween festivities, here are some creepy crawly things for you to look at. This spider has driven me crazy all season. She's almost as fat as my thumb, and spins giant webs, six feet across, from the tree branches to the ground. I've run into them at night TWICE. Ick, ick, ick. Once I rode my bike through it, calling to the dog and got a mouthful of web, but clearly no spider. She will not give up, this one.

This one I found in the grass in North Carolina. Looks like a skull on her body, almost.
This is evidence of pure love. My husband called me outside as I was rushing out the door, saying nature lover that I am, he knew I'd want to see the largest praying mantis he'd ever seen. It's sweet how he indulges my nature nutty side. Of course I had to go get the camera and the tape measure, because that's how I roll. I've seen one or two bigger, but this one is grand.

So, wishing us all calm breezes, sunny days and creepy crawlies in their proper places.
Until next time.

15 comments:

  1. Your photography is fantastic. It always amazes me how the animals survive. I imagine many don't but some how they are able to leave their eggs for the next generation. Most of our leaves are still clinging to the trees. But the storms have begun to roll in as well so it is just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the trees were so beautiful in your first photo! Then the nakedness of them in the second. I so love the color of Fall and it is a shame it can not last longer.

    The spider in white...the skull...creepy! In fact spiders just plain scare me...I who loved the book Charlotte's Web. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy your nature photos. The skull looking spider is really cool. My neighbor catches and keeps praying mantis indoors as pets. They're pretty cool looking too. Yours is quite large.
    When the tornado alarm went off this morning I found myself calling out....Dooorothy!!!! It was like a scene from Oz!! Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that leaf! And being a friend to spiders, I even like their pictures! I look forward to more leaf pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skull spider picture is AWESOME.

    The Moms loves Praying Mantises. She taught me to love them, too. I think she loves them because they eat the male after they mate. I sort of dig that, too.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo of trees with the blazing orange leaves, I saw it (I think you shared it on Deb's page?) and have had it stuck in my head ever since. In love with those colours am I! Fall is over all too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid our Autumn here isn't very spectacular this year. Your tricolor leaf is amazing. We are experiencing the gale-force winds as well. Even if the trees do end up turning brilliant colors, the leaves will be blown off before anyone can enjoy them. Love your creepy crawly spider pics too.

    BTW, I've moved and now live at www.peripheralperceptions.org.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, especially those of the trees changing. This is one of my favorite times of year. I'm really enjoying October. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That leaf is a marvel. Just a marvel. I love this season, but mourn the descent into winter. Ugh, it hurts my soul just thinking of those bare trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That storm, those storms? Mother of all weather systems. Scared me to death for you guys. Love the before/after leaves. Added #2 to my show. Winter coming and let the self abuse beGIN! Toes first. It's Shelob fer criyiyi. I like spiders too, but not upon my person. And awe for the Praying Mantis. I had a big metal one in my rooftop garden, gave it to Lee when I left. I'll put a picha on yr ning page. Halloween skull spider is awesome! deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahaha. I love the word verifications on this blog. The one for my comment above was "cralt". How cool is that for spiders? d

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mel

    thanks for your comment re mail. I am not at all 'artistic' but can glue and paste! And as I go, out of trial and error, I learn about what is more appealing to the eye...

    If you would ever like to join our mail group just drop me a note

    happy days

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did have a wild storm--I heard on the radio that the barometric pressure was equivalent to a Cat 3 hurricane. As a hurricane veteran, I was impressed.

    Fabulous leaf photo!!! Nature is better than art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful chronicle of your autumn including the creepy crawlies who seem to revel before the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. all i could think was ....CHAAAARRRRLOOOTTTTE

    =P spiders and mantis and tornados oh my

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....