Saturday, March 23, 2013

What Remains

Dilly dallying pretty much sums up my week. The sun came out. The weather warmed up enough for me to remember sunny happy days and being warm, inside and out.

I got out the camera and played. I daydreamed and dabbled. It was good.

Here is what remains...


Ginko leaves, so golden and creamy after two - or three? years in a box.


Butterflies, moths, bits and pieces of lovely creatures who have come and gone in my little yard.


The limits of my camera lens are boundless. I can capture a hint of the intensity of color, or a bit of the luxurious texture, or a hint of the complexity, but never all at once, never quite true. But still.





Leaves keep their color and interest for years, once pressed and kept out of light. Years of fun.







Gulf of Mexico, Indiana reservoir, Illinois plains, North Carolina hills - treasures.



I kept the lid on the camembert. There's creepy crawlie spiders and wasps and hornets in there. I don't always feel like looking at them. They're there if I need them.


This is a piece of wood, stained by nature. I feel the need to make something out of this someday.

Sometimes I need to really look at these bits and pieces and feel the wonder of it all, this amazing crazy colorful mysterious world under my very feet.  Such beauty in death. So much still remains. Hope of renewal, resilience, remembrance. Evidence of something magnificent.

There is no end to my curiosity or to the treasures I find wherever I look, or to my need to collect little pieces of what I see, and hoard not just the collections, like a curator, or a magpie, but the pictures that try to tell their story as well. 

I'll end with this funny I found on Pinterest, which is where I go to lazily lounge in lovely things other people have scoured the internet to tag for my amusement. My latest, greatest time waster and inspirational obsession, Pinterest. For when I'm too tired to blog, but not too tired to click things I like to look at, and occasionally laugh at.


Ha ha, right?

Happy doing or admiring whatever it is that sustains you.



9 comments:

  1. Oh my, Mel. These are such beautiful shots. You have a macro eye on you and your camera does too. Your shark teeth remind me that although I have spent most of my entire life walking the beach I have never once found a shark's tooth. This seems quite odd to me- almost a reverse miracle.
    And your words here are beautiful too. This line knocked me out:
    " So much still remains. Hope of renewal, resilience, remembrance. Evidence of something magnificent."
    Yes. Magnificence. Thank-you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is such a beautiful place. Little things all around us that we don't notice until someone like you reminds us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel,

    That was an exquisite post. I loved everything about it. The beauty, the oddities, your reverence for the beauty of death - so true - and your humor. You do have an amazing eye and it would be so fun to see some of the things that you make out of these treasures. I'll bet what you've shown us is just the tip of the iceberg of your collecting - show more anytime you want to, it's inspiring!

    This was like a Saturday night cocktail - fun, fun, fun! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your collections and you captured them beautifully. Just a closer look reveals so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your camera takes amazing pictures! I feel like I could just gaze forever at some of them, with all the detail. Thanks for showing me what CAN be done with a camera. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots!
    I'm on Pinterest too. Biggest time suck, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, I steal your photos for my computer desktop background. Is that weird? :) Great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeousness! I have boxes and bowls and pouches of these kinds of treasures. They are endlessly fascinating and beautiful.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. I do the same thing. Bits and pieces of the things that make up planet earth. Rocks, sticks, shells, sand, seeds, pods, teeth, bones, feathers and nests. It is endless. And bugs, yes, the floaty and the stingy.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....