Driving out of the forest preserve, a blur of brown caught my eye, so I backed up and grabbed these shots out the sun roof.
This Red Tailed Hawk had just made a catch.
A few days later I saw five Hawks flying together, something I've never seen. Pairs, yes, but five, I believe is almost an aerie of Hawks.
And next, out on the ever-browning Prairie:
Tucker and I stopped to snap a landscape picture and scared up a Ringed Neck Pheasant, who flew just overhead and settled into the tall rust colored grasses on the right. I was dumbstruck, and unable to snap a photo in time.
I've never seen a pheasant in the wild, only from the car window, one alive pecking along the roadside, and one roadkill, so this was really exciting for me.
These are the photos I took, just imagine a large frightened bird swooping overhead.
I startled a charm of finches too, and this is the best photo I could get of that action. I had to look up what you call a flock of finches, and it's a charm.
I like that one.
We stopped to take in the Views. They were awesome.
I got a little distracted by my i-phone camera, because if I pointed it more up the sky was whitewashed and more down, the sky very brooding. Nothing even resembling just right. I noticed Tuck with his nose deep into something, and since he loves to roll in poop, I ran to see what caught his fancy.
It was evidence of the food chain. I'm not sure who got it or how, but this red tailed hawk's luck ran out.
I thought about how stripped bare fall makes me feel, and how, despite the chill and damp of both the weather and reality, I still felt better for taking this walk. I reminded myself that I never used to let a little crummy weather stop me, and if I remembered to dress right, and could manage not to have to pee mid hike, that this was the best idea I could have on any given day. I'm positive Tuck agrees.
Walking gets some endorphins in my brain going, and the scenery is a perk.
This photo, I don't know what happened. Wind, cold shaky hands, fog or lint on the lens, who knows, but I like it. It's my Monet shot, pretty much what the world looks like to me without my glasses.
Tuck and I found a deer bone in the woods behind the house a few weeks ago, and he brought it home as a trophy, or a reminder of his ancestry. We surprised a coyote slinking along the wood's edge, and he watched us warily until Tucker caught his scent and took off after him like a madman. I was a little proud and scared at the same time, but not interested in a fight, so I was relieved he let me call him off. My dog has had quite a year, chasing a bear and a coyote. Now he's having to settle for squirrels and chipmunks he'll never catch, and his carnivore dreams of another incarnation.
Nature is so beautiful and yet so hard, and cruel, but who am I to question her ways. I'm just here to observe, to bear witness, and snap digital pictures to help me remember.
I do meddle when it suits me though. That little salamander in the garden? He has a new home and a new name, Jamarcus, thanks to the begging and pleading of my daughter. And now I worry about temperature and humidity and worm supply because, even though I was sure we'd just enjoy him a few days and then let him loose to hibernate, the weather changed so quickly and became so cold, I'm afraid now I'm stuck. Salamander mom. Crazy lady in pj's and a jacket, scooping up worms for breakfast. Sheese. I'm already stressing about his habitat and his diet as if I didn't have enough to worry about.
But, I have to admit, for a salamander, he's pretty cute. Or she. Who knows.
I'll keep you posted.....
Tucker looks about as happy as a dog can get! It is so funny when males run around marking their territory but they have nothing left and just doing a literal dry run.
ReplyDeleteI am horrified that coyotes would kill a small dog. I have never heard of that. Chickens, yes. But a dog? I feel sad for your neighbour.
The salamander. I know many people will not like this but here is my story. When my son was small he loved amphibians. About 80% of any conversation with him was about frogs. One time he found a frog at school and he was SO proud and SO excited! He wanted to keep it. My first instinct was to tell him know but well, looking into those big brown eyes I said yes. I had an old 10 gallon fish aquarium in the house. We cleaned it out and did some research and made a nice habitat for it. Moss, grass, sticks, water etc. The grass was actually growing because we dug it up. We collected rain water for drinking, misting and swimming. In the summer my son collected grasshoppers and moths and in the winter we got crickets at the pet store. He kept the tank clean. That frog ended up living for almost THREE years! It would croak at night. He did such a great job of caring for it I let him have more over the years.
I would not have objected to my son having a salamander but I know they are very delicate and you have to keep all he objects in an aquarium small so as not to sever a toe or limb. Water can't come from the tap because it is treated.
I like the idea of a charm of finches. And yes, Tucker looks as happy as a dog can be. Love your pictures, all of them, including the mystical one! :-)
ReplyDeleteSo many wonderful images, I cannot choose a favourite!!! So glad you got out for a good walk, and that it was not Tucker who met the hungry coyotes!! We still have redwing blackbirds in the marsh, and lots of geese. Or we did yesterday...
ReplyDeleteSo many great pictures. Nature is so beautiful but I don't think of her as cruel. We all have to eat and since there is no manna from heaven, because this is a closed system, what we eat is each other. Even humans. We don't get eaten these days but we eat plenty of other things. And while vegetarians seem to think they have risen above that, I disagree. Plants are sentient and experience some sort of pain and while we harvest the fruits of some, we pull others out of the ground whole.
ReplyDelete