Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fall

It's been a blustery week, with crisp cold mornings below thirty degrees,
which in the Illinois scheme of things is very mild, 
but so cold, so soon. I've been wearing layers, scarves, gloves, thick socks, bundled up against the stiff wind that's blown this weather our way.  Tucker doesn't seem to notice. He likes the chill in the air and is running around like a kid chasing squirrels and looking for adventure. He is crazy about getting in the car, because it means we are either going for a walk, or driving through the bank where dog biscuits come out the window with my receipt. Magic.

We've had some blue, blue skies.


We've been to another forest preserve and walked crunchy trails filled with new fallen leaves:








We've been to a new wetland trail full of lovely surprises :





And we've wandered the well worn path in the front yard.
My already stiff neck is stiffer from looking up so much, but how can I not?
If it weren't cold or raining I'd take a blanket outside and lay on the ground and look up until every leaf and nuance of yellow was memorized:




We planted some maple trees a decade ago, mere twigs when we stuck them in the ground.
Every year they are different colors, it's a complete mystery.
The lemon yellow this year is wonderful:



Oh, October.
One or two weeks of glorious color right out my front door.
I should be happier. I'm grateful, and respectful.
But.
I can't hardly get out of my own way lately.
There's no cure for what's bugging me, feeling old and achy and tired and run down.
The neck pain is flaring up, with the muscle spasms and headaches,
the hot flashes are having their way with me. And I am so, so tired.
Same story, different year.
I hope its a passing thing and I get a spring back in my step and find my old self again soon.
I hate feeling defeated and resigned, it's shameful.
I've got no good reason, just too much awareness of how crazy hard life is, with a crumbling body,
and not enough estrogen or seratonin or vitamin D or energy. And the news, lord, the news, 
I am insane with watching the news, worrying about the world. 
I'm particularly upset lately about childhood poverty, and cutbacks to food stamps and the terrible knowledge that hungry children can't learn or perform as well as they should.  Half. Half the children in the US are food insecure right now,
and I don't have a fucking clue how to help beyond donating to my local food bank and voting for people who aren't selfish small minded ass holes. 
I am careening between the micro and macro worries.
Costco called my house last night, to tell us the meatloaf we bought weeks ago was recalled due to possible Lysteria contamination in the ketchup glaze. WTF? 
I don't even know what to eat or buy anymore. I am overwrought, I really am. This life, it is crazy making.
There is nothing to be said or done, especially about the getting old part. 
It comes. It goes. It has its way with me, and I wait for me to come back.
Maybe I go dormant seasonally too, maybe I fall apart when the leaves fall because it is the way of things. 
Maybe I should quit looking for analogies and quit trying to make sense of things that will never make sense.
Maybe I should put on a raincoat and boots and walk outside while the leaves still hang on.
Maybe I will. It's as good a plan as any.


A little walk-about might cheer me up a bit. I know it will make Tucker a happy boy.

Happy Halloween y'all. Thanks for stopping by for the same old whine fest.

xo




9 comments:

  1. I know. Dear god, I know. But it is not shameful and feeling that way makes it so much worse. So many of us feel this way and it is the way of the world. Pretty much everything you wrote could have been wrote by me.
    No real answers. I am feeling a little better since seeing a naturopath. I take 4000 iu of vitamin D though just having actual light would be nice! I live on Vancouver island and there is going to be no sunlight to speak of from now to next June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same boat. Exactly the same. Well, minus the pretty fall walks which I need more of, but where to take them? I live in Concrete. I am tired of having people around me all the time. City living.

    The news is enough to drive anyone to madness, and I will confess something to you: I have eaten McDonalds three times this week. I am supposed to be on a low carb diet, but I can't figure out what to eat, and nothing I SHOULD eat is anything I WANT to eat, and then I hear that actually, low carb diets are bad for you and whole grains are good! Wait, whole grains are bad! Is everything bad? So I go through the drive thru because I don't know what to buy at the grocery store.

    I feel all fucked up about it too. What can any of us do about it? Reprogram our entire habits?

    Whine fest of my own. But I get you, I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same-same here. I am so tired of fatigue and pain. I had that one day last weekend of feeling good and with energy and it was almost a cruel tease.
    Is this aging or am I dying? I wonder this frequently but do not go to the doctor.
    But, like you, it does not take away from my wonder at the beauty this time of year. I appreciate it all. You are not alone in any of this. I promise you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three comments before mine, and I could have written your post AND their comments. It's almost impossible not to cry out in pain. Both the body pain, but especially the pain of the news, the world, and the way things are. I am sending you a little of the most important thing I still have to offer: hope. There has to be a way out of this. And I'm also sending you love. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a whine Fest. I'm glad you air what you're feeling here. I find when I get honest and actually write the melancholy and angst and fear, it eases a little bit. So go ahead and empty your cares into these arms that encircle you. I'm in the same place. Aging really is a sucker punch. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all in the same boat.
    I feel myself cocooning, getting ready for the winter hibernation. Isolating myself. Thinking every ache is cancer, every twinge a tumor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, add me to the chorus -- lots of aches and pain (which really DO improve if I force myself to move a bit) but that's nothing to the pain of politics and the rest of the news these days. Though on the plus side, we're not fighting a war in Syria which looked like a possibility not long ago.

    I think a walk is a good idea -- that and donating to local food banks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your fall colours!!! We had a poor year for them, with the temperature staying mild even at night... Not that I am going to complain about the mild weather - it meant my raspberries kept producing...
    I learned a long time ago to ignore the news - it makes me upset, and there is nothing I can do. So go for a walk while it is not raining, and remember you are still on the right side of the sod!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the craziness that seems to be pervasive in this world, still there is so much that is stunningly beautiful, as witnessed in your photos here in this post, in all your photos in your blog, always! I know I can come here to do my own personal "refresh". I never come away dissatisfied.

    I periodically go on new blackouts, for sanity. It helps. I had NPR on today for about 3 minutes while I drove to drop off my ballot, and it was so anxiety-inducing that I turned off the radio. Bam. Gone. Just like that. And what a relief!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....