It's been crazy weather wise, but we've been spared the tornadoes spawned by last week's 65 degrees, the floods that came with the storms, and now we are remembering what below freezing temperatures and wind chills feel like. They suck.
Almost everybody I love has been sick, and it's a lingerer. This crud comes with respiratory infections and pneuomonia for the unlucky like my son and my Mom. Husband and I have been spared, mercifully, and everyone is on the mend.
I've have every ache and pain and issue known to Mel this month, but I am dealing and I just keep moving forward. The worse I feel, the more I need to get outside, see blue skies, hear a hawk screech, crunch leaves underfoot and feel the wind on my face. It makes me smile, even when I don't feel like smiling.
The dog and I have walked many a mile this month, and I'm surprised how addicting exercise can be.
I'm also surprised to have a new pain in the hips to add to the list. Mary, I feel your pain too, now. I think it's from the walking, but I do not intend to stop.
I'm losing weight, feeling ok despite the arthritis and nerve pain, eating well and trying to keep the wine consumption to a respectable level. Trying.
I've had plenty to worry about, but I think I'm keeping it in perspective. Sandwich generation issues, life issues, neverending existential crisis issues. So I'm gonna just keep on walking, and counting my blessings.
Being Thankful. And Grateful.
Sixteen years I've lived here, maybe four or five times I've been to the forest preserve three miles from my house, but I never knew where the trails were. It's been Christmas in November for me, truly. The dog has never been happier. He loves our walks, and he's a better behaved and less antsy dog now. He's lost four pounds and I've lost eight since this summer. The dog's doctor was very pleased, and I assume mine will be too. I finally got my BMI into the green zone. I didn't like being in the yellow zone, not with my heart health history. I'm doing what I can, which turns out to be more than I thought I was willing to do.
The ripple effect is interesting. The more I do, the more I want to do. I've starting picking up the free weights again, deciding once more that I don't have to have Grandma arms, not yet. I've started jogging for parts of the walk, and this is huge. I hate to run, I always have, and yet, here I am seeing how far I can push myself, how far I can go, how many steps I can add to my day.
I've given myself a gift I knew I needed but didn't know how to get.
Here's some pictures from our latest excursions to the very awesome and close by trails, which transition from the grassy knolls of glacial kames and moraines to the crunchy trails of an old oak forest. I adore everything about it. Even the train tracks, constantly stacked up with freight and coal and who knows what.
I sang John Prine on this walk, Mr. Peabody's Coal Train has hauled it away......
I love how the trails meander, following the countours of the land.
I love that there is always a red tailed hawk, sometimes two.
They don't much care for the dog, and this one flew overhead, screeching his discontent.
Tucker was not interested in the hawks. There are squirrels everywhere.
In other news, my kids are amazing. They are giants to me, so tall and so very grown up. I come up maybe to their shoulders, and it's comical.
I'm so, so lucky to have them be such awesome human beings, healthy and mostly happy.
This is daughter on her way to the high school volleyball awards banquet. She had a very good year.
Lots of accolades and even caught the eye of a big ten recruiting coach. Not that she's interested in any more hard court indoor volleyball. She wants bare feet and sand in her toes, and she aims to get it. I'd bet on her.
This is my son and his most photogenic girlfriend, at the formal dance for her honors sorority.
I always told my kids, from the time they were little that whoever they fell for better meet three requirements: smart, funny and your biggest fan. My son got it right, because she is all of that, and so much more. We just love her, she's perfect for him, and they complement each other so well.
So, I have much to be thankful for, I really do. For all the worrying I do, things are so far, so good.
I'm going to wallow in that for a while, and coast right through the dreaded holiday season and the chill of winter on that wave of good fortune.
Wishing the same for all of you -
nice walks, moments of gratitude and grace,
a quick passage through the cold and dreary months ahead.
xo

Your trails look an awful lot like my trails when there isn't a foot of snow on them! I'm enjoying them daily nonetheless. What a positive and upbeat post! Love it!
ReplyDeleteYou have reminded me that I need to be walking more. You have given me inspiration. Thank you, Mel.
ReplyDeleteYour children are beautiful and like two of mine, so much taller than me. It IS comical, but somehow sweet.
Thanks for this post.
Mel, wonderful images!!! Good for you, getting out walking enough to lose some weight!1! We are heading into winter here, and the walking is not so good. Jake says we do not need to go out at all, thank you - he is an old man, at 13...
ReplyDeleteYup, Felix is a different dog when he gets his walks/swims/hikes. Otherwise, he's just too bored!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are getting well. I worked out at the gym several days a week for about 7 years. I felt great, loved the way my arms and legs looked. Then we moved out to this small town with no gym. Three years later, we have a gym and I joined but I just can't seem to get back in the groove.
ReplyDelete