Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I did.

After that last mopey post was published, I did put on my boots and my raincoat and go for a walk in the woods. There's something about the post-rainfall quiet that is magical. Everything is crisper, shinier. And really, really hard to photograph well. The dog and I came back covered in burrs, I don't know how many times I have to learn NOT to traipse through the woods in my fuzzy sweat pants. Anyway, here's what Tuck and I saw:




Giant puffball mushroom size of a soccer ball, allegedly edible. I'll pass.










This last one was my favorite. Nature made some art, all by herself. I was beside myself and took half a dozen pictures, and couldn't get the lighting right, but that's ok. It was there, and I saw it.

We're still picking burrs off of everything. Small price to pay, though.

And now....
Tonight we watch volleyball! Our team won the Regionals and now we're off to Sectionals, against our cross town rivals. It's going to be crazy. We beat them in conference play this season for the first time in four years and we need to do it one more time to keep going. I'm almost nauseous just thinking about it. We've never made it to the State playoffs, and if ever there were a year, this is it.
Volleyball has been the best thing about this fall. Our daughter is playing great, the team is playing great and we've had our best season ever. Ever. I could never have imagined this future. And I can't imagine what I would be doing if I weren't sitting in a high school gym tonight, cheering and clapping until my hands hurt.

I'll let you know how it goes.

xo





8 comments:

  1. I simply love your pictures, I've taken some similar ones lately too. But that last "nature's art" is indeed very special. Good luck to everyone in the volleyball tournament. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very fine photographer.
    Wishing all the best for the volleyball team. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs are just lovely. And is there anything more exciting than sitting in a high school gym cheering your child's team when that team is having a very good season and your child too? Enjoy it dear Mel. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think your last post was mopey at all. Be nice to yourself. We all have days (or weeks) when we are off kilter.

    Your pictures are gorgeous! And the burrs...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't count the number of times I've ruined decent pairs of shoes from walking through the woods. Oh well, clothes tire but memories never do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this celebration of the tiny beautiful things in your world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pics. I think fungi (?) are so interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful pictures! Your walk in the woods was good for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....