Saturday, December 14, 2013

A Wickedly Cold Adventure

My daughter and I took a mini vacation into the city to see Wicked and visit the Adler Planetarium. It was awesome.
Here is the view of the sunset from our hotel window.



Waiting in line outside for the show. It was crazy cold, minus twenty with the wind chill. Wicked was very well done and we loved every minute of it.


The next day was much better, mid twenties, milder winds. We walked all over.
After many years of driving by, I finally got to walk among Agora, by Polish artist Magdalena Abakanowicz whose her art draws on her fear of crowds, which she once described as "brainless organisms acting on command, worshiping on command and hating on command". The picture doesn't do them justice as there are 106 of them. People either love or hate them, but I am very moved by their commentary on mindless masses and their role in history.


It was a lovely winter walk through the museum campus on the lakefront.


The skyline reflected on the lake ice was so pretty. Pity it was too chilly to enjoy longer.


My girl.


Our destination was the Adler Planetarium. My daughter went for a school trip earlier this year and wanted to go back. I hadn't been in years and was happy to go. It was mind boggling, watching the sky shows, seeing all the satellite orbits around our earth, zooming in to see earth from space and zooming out into the known universe. I got a little motion sickness from the sky show, but it was worth it. We saw almost everything there and practically had the place to ourselves.


One of the Planetarium flight crew took this picture for us. I am definitely shrinking.


When we were leaving, the staff was getting ready for an important guest to arrive. We saw her limo and body guards, but even in these crazy shoes Lady Gaga was shorter than the SUV that brought her. We did see the back of her coat though. Does that count as a celebrity sighting?
It was a nice thought that she wanted to geek out on space and science stuff, too, but it turns out that she was just there for a photo shoot. Oh well. 


Our trip was a grand adventure, and my daughter is a wonderful travel companion. 
But I have to admit that aside from the lovely Christmas decorations and lights, Chicago is a lot more fun to visit in warmer weather.

Hope your week has had it's share of grand adventures.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see pictures of you! It looks like it was a good trip, but speaking of trips, those shoes she's wearing are made for a fall, aren't they? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! You saw stars and a Star. And a play.
    You and your daughter standing together look like me and Jessie standing together. It's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you girl is so beautiful. i know about these mother-daughter adventures. they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find it so odd when my nieces and nephews hit around 11 or 12 and start looking me in the eye.

    I'm glad you loved Wicked!!!! I saw it in NYC a couple weekends ago with my own mom. She liked it, but not as much as me. I've been jogging to "Defying Gravity" ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful that you two had an adventure together. I guess some city-local-tourist adventures end up taking place in winter when our teens get a little free time! I cannot believe Lady Ga-ga's shoes!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....