Saturday, December 28, 2013

A change of scenery and a public service announcement

We left the cold wintry midwest for the gulf shores of Florida.  It was the best Christmas present we've ever given ourselves. We have never gone anywhere warm for the winter holiday season, and now I am wondering why?

Our daughter was invited to the USA Volleyball High Performance Camp in Clearwater, so we decided if she was going, we all were going. All except the dog, that is.

It's been a lovely change of pace and scenery. Last week we were dealing with ice storms, snow and sub zero temperatures, and this week, we are in shorts and flip flops. It has been rejuvenating and refreshing. Just what we needed.

While our daughter was at camp, the boys went golfing and I went to the beach to comb for shells and shark teeth. I had the best day. The sound of the waves, the smell of salt water, the cries of the gulls, the sun sparkling on the water, the pelicans floating overhead - all perfectly relaxing.

I saw an amazing flock of black skimmers, sharing the beach with a flock of gulls. They lined up into the wind in formation, and I was mesmerized.

 





 
If the weather holds, I'll go back tomorrow for more.
 
I've been sleeping terribly, before and during this vacation.
Besides the standard hotflashes, I'm having blue ribbon nightmares that wake me up and keep me up for hours. My lower back is killing me, I'm having new and exciting arthritis joint pain in my elbows, and now, my Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigois flaring up again, which means when I roll over or turn my head wrong the room spins. So far, no falling over, so that's good news, but it's back to physical therapy to manipulate my head and hope to get those inner ear crystals back in place. What a wierd and strange thing to have wrong with a body. It's a constant mystery, the things that quit working or malfunction as I get older. A plethora of miseries, none fatal, but all draining. I'm an early achiever on the falling apart program. But here's the thing - lately, I don't care. I just laugh, shrug my shoulders and hope for something better tomorrow. It could be worse......
 
In other news, and the PSA part of the program:
 
My sister's dog got bit in the face by a rabid raccoon on Christmas Day, and she, her boyfriend and his daughters and granddaughter have to get rabies shots now so they don't die in case they contacted the virus when they were taking care of the dog. 
 
The shots for the uninsured cost $6800 for the first of four shots, and who knows what the other three shots will cost, the hospitals don't even know, and the cost for those with insurance ranges from $300 to $5000, thanks to high deductables, so it was a shitty, shitty Christmas present. The shots have to be administered at an Emergency Room so they get to pay those fees too. The poor dog is in quarantine for 45 days, and it's a wait and see if his rabies vaccination worked, he still may have to be put down. Just horrible, awful Christmas news.
 
FYI, bats, raccoons, foxes, coyotes and squirrels are common rabies carriers in the US. If you have had a rabies vaccination and get bitten or have contact risk, the cost is under $1000 to get the shots to insure you do not die. If you have not had the vaccination, the first shot costs anywhere from $5000-$11000, depending on where you live and the current availibility of the limitied supply of globulin. It's ridiculous, but true. I was sure there was some mistake, or some back woods hospital price gouging, but no. It is a very, very expensive problem to have. If there is any risk of infection the shots are the only way to risk dying a certain and painful death. So.
 
My sister has worked through her anger, denial and grief and is now in the acceptance part of the program. I'm still in shock and my heart aches for her and her family. Not fair, at all. I'm planning on a visit back east next month, but before I go, I'll be getting a rabies vaccine, just in case.
 
Here's to hoping no rabid critters wander into your lives and wreak financial havoc and distress on you and your loved ones. 
 
And may we all have a safe, healthy and happy New Year.
 

9 comments:

  1. You're making me want to head farther south. North Florida has not been particularly lovely for the past week or so. Your beach birds are marvelous. I always feel as if those lined-up birds about about to have a meeting.
    I am SO sorry you're having all of this pain and these problems. Annoying as hell and life-draining, too. Not fair, woman.
    Rabies? Dear god. I had NO idea the treatment was so expensive. That just doesn't even seem possible, does it? You're right- what a shitty thing to happen. I hope everyone survives, both physically and financially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that I recently read a book called "Rabid" about the history of the disease. It was inevitably fatal before Pasteur figured out a cure. I'm hoping all will be well for your family, but what a shock to learn how much it all costs!!! I will be going to visit my sister in Florida next month, to get away from the dreary dark days of winter for a week. Mel, you are in my thoughts and heart, and I do hope it all turns out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use a dose of warm beach right about now. getting older sucks. not the living longer part but the body breaking down part. I have arthritis in my thumb joints. no fun for an artist. and the vertigo thing. that's been happening to me lately but only at night when I lay down in bed. things get all swirly. although I've had episodes in the past where standing or bending over or just turning my head and looking up will do it. almost fell one time but was luck that the person standing behind me caught me. and what a terrible ordeal for your sister. health care in this country sucks! so they know for sure the raccoon was rabid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind thoughts :) Yes, animal control tested the baby raccoon and it was positive for rabies.
    Mary, your corner of Florida looks like heaven to me. And I had the same thoughts, that the skimmers were having a meeting.
    Jan, this trip to warm weather and gulf shores has been balm for my soul.
    And Ellen, thumbs? Ouch. I get knuckle pain from time to time, but never in my thumbs. Something else to look forward to. Doesn't the vertigo suck? Have you had the treatment? It has worked once for me, but it comes back every year or two. It's said to be common in women over 60 but I've only met one other woman with it. I've had it since my mid 40's. Always overachieving in the wrong department.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy you are having that wonderful warm weather respite but so sorry about what your extended family is going through! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. Glad you got a chance to refresh. Your sisters news is awful.

    The shots are so expensive because they are a blood product, and the blood supply is always critically low. Most people don't truly understand the importance of blood donations until they or a loved one needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first saw $6800, I thought I had added some zeroes, so I put my glasses on and got closer to the screen.

    Criminy.

    Being alive is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends' daughter had been bitten by a cat and had to undergo the rabies shots. Cost in Canada: zero. Of course, by the time they got the results back from testing the cat, it was determined she didn't have rabies anyway, so it all worked out.
    I feel bad for your sister and her family. Health care is a right, not a privilege.
    And finally, I'm so jealous that you are in a warm place! I'm happy for you though, give those aches a rest maybe. Sigh. I'm an achy, meno mess too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good lord, I had no idea about rabies. Sheesh. Getting old ain't for sissies. That's for sure. Clearwater is a strange and wonderful place. So glad you got o go there away from the frozen lands of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....