Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What's in a name?

I've always called these extreme winter life-threatening events Arctic blasts.

This is the worst one in two decades in the Chicago area and I'm perversely thrilled that it has a name, the Polar Vortex.

Pearl who lives much farther north than here linked me to the Wikipedia page which made my chilly morning:

polar vortex (aka Arctic cyclonesub-polar cycloneFrigid Twister, and a circumpolar whirl)... 

I'm liking Frigid Twister and Circumpolar Whirl myself. The pictures don't do it justice.


   File:Polarvortexwinter.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, it's believed to be caused by global warming.

So far, we're doing just fine. It's warmed up to -3 and the winds have dropped to 15 mph, so I'm heading out to the grocery store. I have some serious cabin fever.

I've already made one batch of soup and when I get back I'm making another and I'm going to bake something, anything, just to have the kitchen warm and cozy when my husband gets home from work.

My daughter is thrilled to have two extra days of Winter Break from school, but I guarantee, come June, when school gets out two days later to make them up, she won't be so happy about all this.

So whatever you call this, it will pass. Until then, hope we all stay warm and cozy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm making soup too and have bread rising. And I salute you- I haven't wanted to go outside all day and it's a balmy thirty-nine here. I'm a wimp. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping it gets better Mel. i just try to make best of it, im sure glad sunday and monday are my days off cause it took 2 days to get the snow cleaned up, we got more than 15 inches here and now it is frigid, stay warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the year I lived in Chicago I was out in -3˚. we went to a friend's apt for the evening. it was a short walk from the van to the door but it was the longest walk of my life. I couldn't wait for spring so I could get the hell out of Dodge, er Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It boggles my mind how cold it is there! I'm glad you're getting a chance to go out and get rid of a little cabin fever, but I'm also very glad you've got a nice warm and safe place to hang out. This is incredible weather, if you ask me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stock up on wine!!! We're really cold here in DC, but we're not as cold as that. Let's just get through this week, shall we?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....