It only took me two weeks of wishing for warmer weather, but I did it.
It was cold, 1 degree, but no wind. We had a light rime frost on every surface so I grabbed the camera. It was marvelous, the walk and the playdate with a bored, housebound dog.
It was frustrating, though, trying to just see. I have the worst eyesight, progressive bifocal lenses that sometimes make things worse, and permanent blurring in one eye from a cataract which will need repair one day. My camera wouldn't zoom on autofocus, so I fought with it, and messed with the functions and fretted that the pictures would suck. They looked pretty blurry to me. Turns out they didn't suck, once I got them on screen so I could see them better. Some were pretty magical.
Here's what Tucker and I saw on our romp around the yard.
So much gray and white, but peeks of sun too.
Bet you can't guess what this is....
It's salt runoff from slush that fell off my car in the garage. Looks like a lunar landscape to me.
It was one of those frosts that followed a light fluffy snowfall where everything reflected light like diamonds. So hard to capture, but etched permanently in my memory.
I couldn't see these crystals on the closeups until I downloaded the picture, and these were the ones that looked out of focus on my display. What a surprise.
This one is my favorite. I was happy thinking about the buds, dormant under the frost, knowing that they would be next years flowers and leaves, not knowing they were balancing such a delicate bouquet of snow crystals on their tip.
Another surprise, big enough to see with my own eyes - a bird nest I did not know was hiding there.
And my little girl with basket statue, she looks frozen to death, but so peaceful.
Also a surprise were the snowflakes on the end of every seed on the coneflowers. Magical.
Tucker had the best time. We haven't played in the yard in weeks.
Eating snow is a favorite activity. Or he's pretending to be an ostrich.
Cleanup was not a breeze -this was the clumping snow. Those snowballs on the towel were between his food pads. Must have hurt to walk on.
It was a three dog towel day, but a good one.
Stay warm...
Magic, magic and much more magic! Thank you for going outside and for sharing that with us! Your photos are simply gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteWhat an exquisite winter wonderland you have shared! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteGawd, that sucks about your vision. I didn't know that. Seeing the world around us is one of the very best things of life. So I hope the cataract thing gets fixed soon. But you have been given such a wonderful gift of your ability to see and share through your camera. You're always revealing worlds that I couldn't possibly see even though I have pretty good vision. You get in there and capture the minutia, it's absolutely magical. The one with the red thingys - whoa and then the one with the sharp crystals on the bud, omg that one is very special.
ReplyDeleteI'm a dog lover and former dog mom so I was really happy to see the ones of Tucker - warms my heart.
Thanks Mel.
These pictures are stunning. I seldom slow down to notice all that is around me. Good for you getting out and noticing. Did you know there is a name for Mindful Photography. It is called Miksang.
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are downright stunning! Your macros are indeed magical, Mel. And I do thank you for getting out there and giving it a go, it was definitely worth it. Wow! Gotta go look at those again! :-)
ReplyDeletethese are gorgeous! especially the ones of the snowflakes. still I'd rather see snow in pictures than in my backyard.
ReplyDeleteYou had a marvellous walk!!! I love all the macros with the frost crystals on everything!!! I love capturing them, too!!
ReplyDeleteNicely done pics! Also, cataracts can be fixed quite amazingly.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! We think it's cold here when it gets to 39F...fun to see your cold-made beauty.
ReplyDeleteWhen we stop and look around, winter can be quite beautiful. Of course, it's hard to look around when you have a scarf around your head and are trying not to freeze to death. Lol!
ReplyDeleteWonderful pictures! I love the salt runoff and the crystals on the red berries!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful picture! especially the ones of the snowflakes!
ReplyDelete