Monday, January 12, 2015

Today's Word

Yes, I have words today, and a new, really good one. I subscribe to A Word A Day at wordsmith.org and every now and then I get one I really am happy to learn and hope I can remember. Here's today's I didn't know there was a word for that, and one near to my heart. I must be part cat, because my earliest, fondest memories involve apricating, curled up on the floor wherever the sun shone through the doors or windows. I looked but couldn't find the word aprication, which I like even more - a day of aprication is good for the soul. I may use it anyway, who would actually know if I was wrong ?

apricate

PRONUNCIATION:
(AP-ri-kayt) 

MEANING:
verb intr.: To bask in the sun.
verb tr.: To expose to the sun.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin apricari (to bask in the sun). Earliest documented use: 1691. Despite a similar spelling, the word apricot has a different origin. It’s from Latin praecox (early-ripening).

USAGE:
“I was also biting into that part of his body that must have been fairer than the rest because it never apricated.”
AndrĂ© Aciman; Call Me by Your Name; Picador; 2007.


It is cold and snow covered outside, but it's sunny and I shall apricate every chance I get.

If I have trouble keeping this word in my brain, I will just picture a lovely apricot sunning on the floor, and hopefully that will get me there. :)

Since I'm talking sunshine, here are pics that don't begin to do justice to the sundogs we had last week when the temperature was about 1 degree F. The next two days were so cold they cancelled school. Any windchill greater than -20 and school is cancelled, and we had two days at -30 to -35 F. Brrr, to say the least.   But last Monday, my daughter texted me from school and said look outside!
Through the trees I saw a pillar of rainbow, so Tucker and I hopped in the car and drove to the edge of the trees down the street for a full view. Wow. It was something.






I apricated in that for a few minutes before I drove back home.

xo

8 comments:

  1. No aprication here today. The sun is hidden behind dust-gray clouds. What a beautiful word! What a beautiful rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word. That sky, the light and air forms, are celestially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely word - I hope I can remember it ! That usage bit: "I bit into his body" what a great way to start a sentence. Makes me want to look for the book.

    I had no idea there was a "full" rainbow. I've never seen one in a circle like that - you lucky girl. But I love the way a rainbow makes you forget everything else for a moment. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great word but sounds clumsy in usage. But those photos! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, great word. And cool sundog! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard that word before, but it's a perfect one for cats, isn't it? I'll remember it because of that and apricots. Thanks for the education! And gosh I do hope it warms up around there soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our schools never close for cold weather. -40C, still open. Busses don't run, but the schools will be open.
    We had lots of sun dogs here too this last week! Weather is changing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get Word a Day too and love that word. I remember seeing a friend, just back from the beach, and noting that her skin had an apricot hue. If only I'd known this word back then.

    Great sun dogs too !

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....