Tuesday, January 6, 2015

I have no words, really

And yet I write.  This from December, still unfinished.



It grows increasingly harder to post anything as words continue to fail me.

There is so much tenderness and heartache and love and spirit alive here, wherever this is, this place that is as real to me as anything I know to be real.

I cried a lot of slow tears today, feeling raw. Sharing some personal woes with my kids, missing my husband, who's travelling for work, glad to have my kids, my dog, here with me in front of the fireplace, music streaming from the 70's, the kids napping, me reading, reading, reading, until my heart aches.

Christmas alone is its own misery, but this gray and foggy December is breaking my heart.

I talked to my kids tonight, quizzed them about what's going on in the world.

We are killing our selves in the streets. Over color, or a coat, or nothing at all.

Hundreds of children gunned down in their school today in Pakistan, over reasons centuries old, men killing children and themselves wantonly. Sorrow upon sorrow, eye for an eye, forever and ever amen.

The Russian economy is collapsing. I just read somewhere that the root cause of all wars is hunger and I think of this, add it to my worry list, the messes of the world.

Congress inserted unimaginable special interest bullshit into the budget right under our dumb ass noses. I can't even express my disgust and disillusionment with this perversion of democracy.

Too much again, December. At least no tsunamis, no massive tragedies, just a million small ones.

It was too much.

We got take out pizza and cranked up the music and hung out, and it was perfect and I noticed.  They napped, one on the couch, one at my feet in front of the fire with the dog and I read. There are these small moments of grace, and in Kurt Vonnegut's honor, I wish I could remember to say during them - if this isn't nice, I don't know what is.

I read dear Mary Moon's blog about cooking for Katherine, sitting and visiting with her and Bug, with Katherine growing weaker but ever more radiant. Katherine wrote about these past few days in her post too, about the pleasure of being read to by Mary,  her thoughts so warm and loving and accepting. I immediately wanted to read the same stories and went through the shelves and found three anthologies of  American essays. On my way to the author Kathleen requested, my book fell open to an excerpt from Joan Didion's Slouching toward Bethlehem, which cracked me wide open in my college years. I read that first. She wrote with such love about her daughter, in a time when she could barely conceive surviving her loss, or her husband's, which she wrote so honestly about in Magical Thinking.

It made me sadder than I can say.

“The impulse to write things down is a peculiarly compulsive one, inexplicable to those who do not share it, useful only accidentally, only secondarily, in the way that any compulsion tries to justify itself. I suppose that it begins or does not begin in the cradle. Although I have felt compelled to write things down since I was five years old, I doubt that my daughter ever will, for she is a singularly blessed and accepting child, delighted with life exactly as life presents itself to her, unafraid to go to sleep and unafraid to wake up. Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss.” 
― Joan DidionSlouching Towards Bethlehem


Presentiment of loss. And oh, she had no idea what she had left to endure, did she? That line broke me.

I sat in my chair, a book in my lap, looking at my two sleeping children, as scared for them now as they are about to try and make their way alone in this world as I ever was when they were little babies in their cribs, likely more so. But I felt comforted by our being together, for now, protected by a fierce, fluffy dog who wants to play. In the now, we are ok, and that should be enough, for now. I wish it was, because if I let my mind go it races to a dark place to worry about what lies ahead for them, for all our babies in a crazy crowded world.  Breathe, Mel. Breathe. 

I thought about loss and love and grace, and thought to get back to that essay that Mary read to Kathleen, because I knew it would be good.

But first, I needed to read the post I wouldn't read a few hours ago, on Kathleen's page. I knew whatever it was, it wasn't good news, but I wasn't ready to think of a world without her in it just yet.

Mary wrote a beautiful post about Kathleen's last day, a fitting eulogy to a fine person. This ain't her first rodeo, losing a dear friend, but she does it with grace and love. I'm so glad to have met and know all these kind souls I've found online. Words can't convey.

When my husband got home, I told him we lost a blogger friend today, and he understood why I was a little sad beneath my smile.




So it's been three weeks since I started this post I didn't finish. No time like the present.

I've survived Christmas, New Years, the world is still spinning and I'm still trying to find the words.

I've written several posts and a ton of comments in my head.  I've cried more slow tears, and smiled a lot too. My husband says I'm hormonal, and yes, among other things.

We rode all over the middle and southeastern US of A and lived to tell the tale. 3334 miles. I still don't want to get back in the car. Hopefully, if technology stops biting my ass, I can post some pictures from that adventure. It was mostly lovely. If you facebook me, you got the highlights.

Thinking kindly of my internet friends, both here and gone now, and hoping for a year that has many more moments of grace than heartache for us all.

xo


12 comments:

  1. Oh, Mel. The planet is on tilt. I am not good at living in this world. Sometimes I think I was never properly born into it; my spiritual umbilical cord is still attached to something greater than I. When I watch the news or read the paper I frown and try to figure it out. Now I have permanent frown lines.

    Last year at this time I was really sick. It was so bad that I was hospitalized in the psychiatric evaluation unit for "a rest and evaluation". I wanted to die. Not because there is anything wrong in my life but because I saw no hope for the world. I had to make some decisions... The big one was stay away from any news that I can't do anything about. I can't help those in Pakistan. I spent 43 years thinking that *knowing* about the atrocities in the world would some how help. It doesn't. I pay attention to the news where I can make a change. There is so much wrong in my own community and I help where I can. I sign petitions for bigger problems outside my community and will occasionally give money but I have turned off the news. I followed the life and advice of the Dali Lama. He never watches the news or reads a newspaper. Now I surround myself with Love and Spirit. I stay away from all violence. I don't watch violence on TV or violent movies. (OK, that is a lie. I love Orange is the New Black!) I read blogs where the writer is on the same wavelength of what I want the world to be. I meditate. I read books that satisfy my hunger for good and right. (No more books that are fictional accounts of real life atrocities.)

    There are many other things I have done and by no stretch of the imagination am I all better or think that the world is OK. It is just a new way of living. I was going to kill myself and how can that be good for anyone? How can it even be good when we are all so weighed down with heaviness in our hearts that we just want to give up?

    Anyway, I am not a guru. I barely can get out of bed most mornings but I am doing it and life is a little better. I have hope because hope is what I feed myself. If I can read *your* blog and know that someone else (and there are a lot of us) wants the world to be a better place I know we are not yet lost.

    This is rambling and I hope it makes sense. Much love and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, this is so achingly beautiful. I am so glad you posted it. I can only imagine the posts you have in drafts. Share them with us; there is so much here that resonates. And that quote from Joan Didion! I, too, was cracked open by Slouching Toward Bethlehem in college. I am so grateful to know you here, to be able to share this pass with you. Please keep writing. You have words, beautiful words. Trust them. Love to you, dear Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so glad to see that you've posted, and despite your melancholy and very real grief, you wrote so beautifully about all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mel! You have been keeping all of this inside of you and I am glad you got a little of it out. And I LOVE that KV quote about, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." Perfect for so many moments and may we all be as open to those as to the ones that break our hearts with sorrow or difficulty.
    You are such a good woman and a good writer too! And a wonderful mother and you have love within you that you are not afraid to share. And that counts for everything. It is beautiful to hear your voice again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we humans are a violent and murderous lot. I think it's because every form of life needs a predator and being on the top of the food chain we must be our own predator. but why we seem to get so much pleasure out of causing pain is beyond me. there are too many of us, the planet is too crowded. I don't think war is about hunger. war is about power and greed. we were not hungry when we annihilated Iraq. but we can also be selfless and compassionate though that seems to be lost to most of us these days. I cannot change others. I can only love and nurture and try to influence in my own small sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sitting here on my lunch break, I am stunned (as always) by your words and find myself nodding to every comment written before mine.

    Another childless friend of mine said once to me that she should never have them because she would "Love a kid to crazy." And I think it's because as you say, this world is insane and it is us sensitive absorbent souls that get the worst of it.

    We've also managed to absorb each other, a gift that I can't even comprehend how lucky I am to have received it. You women! You astound me. I'm glad you are in my tribe, and I mean that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely and heartbreaking. I wish you'd write more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel, Mel, Mel.
    I echo everyone else when I say what a well written post this is! And I'm with Birdie, the less you're exposed, the less you absorb. Us with big, super-absorbent hearts need to be careful where we dip ourselves.
    I feel like such a pleb sometimes because I have never read the classics, or the philosophers of our time, unless you count Chelsea Handler and if you do, isn't that bitch funny?
    Ahem, anyway.
    I've read Joan Didion's book about Magical Thinking but it was right after my mom died and I think I was so damn numb, it barely affected me. At least not profoundly.
    Life is hard and if it overwhelms, then just try to take baby steps until you get yourself over the hump.
    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a magnificent post, one that speaks directly to my heart. I traveled earlier this week to Seattle to visit my once-upon-a-time stepdaughter, and it was a reunion filled with tears and laughter. Tears to be reminded of those awful times we shared together, and laughter as we learned who we have become in a quarter of a century apart. The world is a place that scares me every single day, but as I grow older and realize how short the days I have left in the world might be, I am determined to enjoy the beauty and grace that surrounds me. You are part of that beauty and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear everyone, thank you for the kind, thoughtful and supportive comments. I learn over and over again what a great community this is, and I wish I could hug you all. Thank you, for reading, for commenting, for helping me to focus on the good, and let go of the bad.

    I am taking a news break, it is helping to not dwell on things I can't help. I am taking baby steps and doing lots of baking and cooking therapy. And I am reading and catching up on your blogs, getting some of my comments out of my head and letting you know I'm reading your words too.
    Thank you, thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Mel, I am two days behind in commenting - lost in my own beautiful terror. When I read the title I had no idea what the post was going to be. It pulled heavy tears out of me as I was reading it. Achingly beautiful, a phrase maybe too cliche, but still appropriate. And the contrast between your title and what was to follow was a heartbreaker - you always have words, wonderful words. I am so grateful you wrote this xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. "There are these small moments of grace — "

    That's it. That's all of it.
    Thank you for reminding me to pay attention to these.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....