It was not the trip I had planned, to drive 13 hours so I could lay in bed next to my husband, both shivering and coughing for 3 straight days. Beautiful weather, lovely hills, and the flu. Our stomach muscles ache from coughing, heads still ache and stomachs still churn, 8 days later. Ugh, H1N1 sucks. I almost cracked on day 6, fighting the urge to cry like a baby all day. It didn't help that I missed my Dad something fierce, he seemed so present in those hills he loved. Childhood memories flitted through my mind and welled my eyes with tears, which thankfully hid among the sneezes and runny nose.
No, it was not the trip I had planned, but I will count my blessings:
Our kids are old enough to take care of themselves and the dog, allowing us the luxury of our weak, sickly states, and they're either immune, or have already caught it this year, hidden among the littany of sick days this fall.
We were able to make the return drive safely, taking turns while the kids slept, read or pinched each other out of boredom. We show no signs of pneumonia or further complications, despite our lingering symptoms. And best of all, I can stop obsessing and worrying about the lack of vaccines, and the chance that we might get sick. We did, and here we are. One less catastrophe looming in my little worry filled world.
No, it wasn't the Thanksgiving vacation we were looking forward to, but we have much to be thankful for. Sunshine and scenery, and snow that passed us by, and mostly, each other, in sickness and in health.
And this, too, is love.
ReplyDeleteSorry you were both so ill...
ReplyDeleteI lost my dad last March. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the feeling of his presence and how much I miss him. Guess it will always be that way.
It's a beautiful view
I can't believe I just read a beautiful post about the flu.
ReplyDeleteglad you are healing. We had the flu for weeks at our house this fall.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photo.
Thanks for your kind words on my blog.
Shannon
I agree with Mwa. A beautiful post about the flu. Thanks, I really enjoyed this.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for the kind words, and for stopping by. The evil flu does not want to let us go, but we're trying to keep our spirits up to spite it. If only laughing didn't make us cough so much!
ReplyDeleteI took the picture out a dirty car window, 70 miles an hour in Tennessee, my eyes full of tears and my Dad on my mind, fighting with a sneeze that would not come. I wanted to pull over and walk toward that view and breathe it in, but had to settle for the picture instead. I didn't trust my memory to catch it.
Yes, a beautiful post about the flu, which just goes to show that you can't keep such a beautiful person down. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you are better real soon.
This too shall pass, things come to stay for a while good or bad and while we fret and stir by the time we are noticing the nuisance, they are always on the way out. At least with the flu ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you for being there and sharing the same story that breaks my heart when I read it. So many people have told me about that white dust that permeated everything. The worst part of it all is that they knew, the did, it was deadly but they served the gods of greed and that is the sanest explanation I can find about their behavior. Our government knew. My heart goes to you. I know what you are going through when you think about it. And you know that I know. Is there a way to forgive that? None I know of, and if there was I could never do it. I wouldn't do it if the salvation of my soul depended on it.
Feel better about that flu. I am thinking of you and sending you whatever healing Light I have left.
also with Mwa, a beautiful flu post, who would have thunk? only you, dear mel, could have managed that. I hope you all are on the mend now. stupid swine flu getting you down, *shakes fist at virus*
ReplyDelete<3