Friday, February 26, 2010

Sepia Saturday 2/27

This is my second in the Sepia Saturday series.


Peter Handlan MacVeigh, born in 1897, was the grandson of Peter Patrick MacVeigh who came to America during the great potato famine. My grandfather was a standout football player at Lindsley Academy, winning a scholarship to WVU, but the Great War broke out, and he enlisted. He was quite the rascal, running poker tables and convincing new recruits that they were required to turn in their civilian clothes, which he sold to soldiers going on leave. He got caught, busted to private and spent the remainder of his service as a ship's cook patrolling the Alaska/Russian border.

After the war, he married a volatile woman who threatened suicide constantly and one day succeeded. A widower, he met Emily Ransom, who was divorcing her first husband intending to marry her divorce lawyer. He was smitten, pursued her and they married 1929. Peter and Emily had a daughter, Judy in 1932, and a son, my father, Peter Ransom MacVeigh, 1934.





My Dad was a cutie. I'd love to tell you that his childhood was magical, and he managed to see it that way, but it wasn't. I'd love to tell you that Peter and Emily lived happily ever after, and to the casual observer it would appear so. But their marriage was tumultuous - Peter was a highly functional alcoholic in his youth, the life of every party, a kind soul who gave away every cent he ever earned. He was a brilliant businessman, who earned a great deal of money selling coal slag and lumber. He bought a farm, grew a bumper crop of tomatoes just as WWII came to a close and the bottom dropped out of the market, so he burned the tomatoes in the field, rather than lose money harvesting. He named the farm Waterloo. In the course of their marriage, Emily took the children and her father and left him; he chased her across the country, to get her and the children back. When he found her, she tried to shoot him, there was a trial, and although the charges were dropped, Emily lost custody and they divorced. But Emily was the love of Peter's life and Emily wanted her children back, and somehow, they remarried, this time for good. By the time I came along, they were this happy couple sitting on the porch steps.


If only the pictures could talk.

28 comments:

  1. wow...what a story! You have some great pictures there..love the one of your dad all dressed up with the dirty knees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandfather was so handsome -- what a shame things went so badly. I hope in the end he and Emily were happy.

    And I just read your previous post. A loud AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your family history is the essence of a good novel ... divorce, a near murder, volatile personalities. It's interesting that these 'Sepias' remind us so much of forgotten history, i.e. the potato famine. Loved reading this, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The later generations who know their parents and grandparents in their relatively sedate, "normal" years rarely think of them as leading exciting lives, until informed otherwise. Sadly, this information often comes too late to delve into all the details. You're lucky you know so much about your own ancestors.

    "If only the pictures could talk," indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, fellow Sepia Saturday friends. When my father became ill with the emphysema the took his father, I was old enough and somehow wise enough to start collecting his stories. I'd sit with the photo albums and ask endless questions and the stories would boggle my mind, as I saw everything differently as a child. I have filled a notebook with my dad's stories, yet I wish for a dozen more. I wish I could time travel and know it all - good, bad or otherwise, because it fascinates me. And hidden in my family's story is the story of this country as well. Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story! What a life. This would make the most amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cow! What a story.

    It beats any in my family where everybody kept the ubiquitious British "stiff upper lip"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Volatile life. I'm glad your grandparents mellowed in time for you. Loved the bits about your grandad's entrepreneurial bent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a story, indeed. I think a book is begging to be written here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a grand tale...and I agree with willow, there is definitley a book there.

    I've been given the task of archiving all our families old photos. It's a daunting task, but fabulous all the same. Each photo brings back so many menories and stories. LOVE the Sepia Saturday idea!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreeing with Barry on this, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, fascinating Mel! This sepia Saturday thing is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Grandmother was very beautiful & you can tell by the photos, that she adored your Father.
    What a long & winding road!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a truly amazing story--the yearbook photo with the Wordsworth quote is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They both sound like very passionate people. I hope they came to terms with each other in their old age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! What a story! And great photos too. I agree with Foxy, you are lucky to have so much detail. Peter & Emily were quite a pair, weren't they?!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. talk about high drama... peter did seem to be drawn to complex women, but birds of a feather and all that!

    regarding emith and peter, seems that steviewren hit the nail on the head in characterizing them as passionate.

    not that the story is similar, but the idea of children growing up amidst such drama reminds me of a powerful memoir I read a few years ago - the glass castle, ever hear of it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The astonishing thing about this wonderful post is the way you start with the picture of your grandfather looking so young and full of promise and then a tragic story emerges. If ever there was proof that epic stories exist in all our family histories this must be it. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mouse, I enjoyed reading that book, and was glad for the knowledge that other people's lives were stranger and messier than ours! It's always surprising to me when someone stable emerges from such chaotic childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these family stories of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. goodness - how absolutely shocking for those days! thats some story. How wonderful that you wanted to hear the story, and noted them down - I so wish I'd done more of that before now, when its getting almost too late...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought you had a pretty interesting story at the beginning but it did get more interesting. Life can be tough. I just saw a young couple with small child having a screaming argument in front of Target store and I though you are going to have a long haul if you can't make it work at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a tale! And the pictures DID talk - you were the interpreter. I was mesmerized by your story!

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful pictures, and man, what a story behind them

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm a sucker for old pictures, and these are fascinating. You have good genes in your family!(at least for good looks - your gene pool might be a bit more volatile than some. Not mine. Our family reunions used to be legendary.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fantastic story. What an interesting family you come from.

    Thanks for sharing your stories with us.

    Love, SB

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....