I've been fighting back by going outside as soon as the last kid is on the bus, camera in hand, dog underfoot, catching sun everywhere I can. There's still lots of lovely leaf colors if you look low and close, and sparkles everywhere.
Today I brought some leaves inside and played in front of the window for a while, catching them up close in the light. I've probably taken a thousand pictures this week, but it's cheap entertainment. I keep thinking I'd like to paint some abstracts like these bradford pear leaves, if I were a painter. They are amazing, and they fascinate me with their blotches of colors and white veins.
When the sun is dipping behind the trees, I make sure I notice, and if there are some pretty clouds, I run out and snap a few shots of the sunset too. There may not be much daylight to work with, but I'm paying attention, using all that's available, sunup to sundown. I'll get through, I always do. I'll sit under my full spectrum reading lamp and eat my vitamin D and try to exercise and bake and make soup and meditate and not go crazy while the days get shorter and colder, until we start the climb back to warmer, longer days. And I've got all this sunshine saved on my hard drive to look at any time I want, and some pressed leaves to look at and remember.
These short days are hard on us women.
ReplyDeleteI love the Bradford pears, too. They are shedding their leaves in my back yard. I love how some of them resemble the flames always portrayed behind the Virgin of Guadalupe.
Hang in there, sweetie.
Dear Ms. Moon,
ReplyDeleteEvery time I'm thinking about writing the
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish post,
you show up with a lovely comment and remind me why I bother to post anything at all.
My true and faithful reader, where do you find enough time in your day to be so kind?
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Love,
Mel
Wow. These are just incredible photos -- beautiful. Thanks for your comment, today, on my blog! I look forward to catching up on yours!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on the body scan piece I wrote. I put it together a couple weeks ago and “bam” is it exploding now in the news, or what.
ReplyDeleteSo glad I checked out your blog today because I feel the same way this time of year about the leaves, AND I have had camera in hand too after the youngest goes to school. There is a huge, golden yellow tree in our front yard and even though it stormed 2 days ago it still has its leaves. Every year around Nov. 10th in No. Georgia it is the best time of year for leaf color. Now I just need to get the photos off of my camera.
LOVE your leaf photos.
That was me above.
ReplyDeleteThe Bradford pear leaf wins hands down in my opinion. Lovely captures. Autumn has been a bit elusive here, and I find myself with little time to go look for it this year. :-(
ReplyDeleteThese back-lit leaves are beeyootiful! Love the spots and the white veins. Amazing. And sparkles! They make you squint - even in the photos. Gorgeous, Meli! d
ReplyDeleteHi! thanks for the comment today on the Palins. Who the heck knows what they're about...publicity and presidential ambitions, I'm thinkin'. Uh oh! channeling.
ReplyDeleteSaw an hilarious photo of the Donald and Sarah together,with the hint they'll each announce a run for the presidency. The photos was photoshopped together but it was on the network news. Now THAT's a REALLY scary thought.
i do so adore your pics. the other day i was standing slack jawed under this flaming re maple as the light turned the leaves to stained glass. wish i could have captured that for you! <3
ReplyDeleteWow!! Mel, I am so glad you stumbled onto the Gate, because now I have found yours! I think your header is just awesome, and I am going to have to spend some time checking out your back pages, on a day when I do not have to work!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful leaf portraits!
ReplyDelete