Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Road Trip

Tomorrow, I load up my car, my two kids and my dog and drive from the flatlands of the midwest to the mountains of North Carolina. I dread the 12 hours in the car, but love the scenery and mountain air once we arrive. It takes a day or two to decompress from suburban Chicago, and acclimatize to the mountains, but it is always worth the trip. Hubby is flying in a few days later, so we will spend a lovely day in Asheville when we pick him up.

We will not cook a turkey dinner. We will not see either of our families, who live twice as far away on the east coast. We will not be lonely, nor will they. We will eat a fancy dinner, be waited on, walk away from the dishes and go home for a nap. We will reconnect our little family, hike and play cards or games, and talk about all that we have to be thankful for in our lives. It is our new tradition, and it suits us just fine.

Here are a few pictures from last year, when we were still weak from swine flu but thankful anyway. It was a very introspective trip, thanks to the illness. This year we are inoculated and will not have to suffer for our solitude.



Maybe I'll skip the meal and just head to the dessert table - Yum!

I wish everyone a healthy and happy Thanksgiving. For those who cook and host, I hope someone steps in and helps you in the kitchen.
Bless your hearts.


8 comments:

  1. The tradition of talking about what you are thankful for is a wonderful idea. I wonder how many bother to go through the exercise to reap its benefits. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee-hee. Yes. Bless our hearts. Yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my family, when we are together, we go around the table and each person says what they are thankful for. I am so thankful for my virtual friends who grace my "table" from around the world! Have a wonderful time, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures when you return. Please drive carefully and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. My captcha word was "bless" -- you are truly in the right place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks idyllic. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm LOVIN' this idea! Playing cards. Love it. Just taught Genna how to play Gin Rummy. And she re-introduced me to all those slapping card games. Oh yeah! Now we're talking! Have fun. deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas for reinventing the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad to hear that you have such a lovely thanksgiving in store! as for thanksgiving thanks thing, i am grateful for you my dear gerdfriend, your lovely walks, the pics you share, your wise words and deep thoughts. you are awesomesauce!! so let that be the extra sauce next to the cranberry sauce this year xD

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....