Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What it looks like at my house

Outside, 5 new inches of snow, made crusty by freezing rain.


Inside, we are ready for this morning's breathing program and meds.




Nebulizers, inhalers, vaporizers, antibiotics, steroids and cough medicines, oh my. The stuff in the baggie on the right is the never mind/didn't work stuff, which combined cost slightly more than the orange inhaler, which costs - after insurance - $230 per tube, which is the winner in the You Have Got to Be Kidding Me category. A close second is antibiotic 2 of 3, which rang in at $170 dollars because there is no generic. All told, you're looking at just under $1000 in prescription medicines from the last 12 days, who knows what the doctors bills will be. But get this - we have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, which we pay for, because we are self employed and self insured small business owners who are supposed to save the depressed economy. Hah. I would like to pass a job killing bill to fire some ignorant politicians if I were able.

But here's the thing. The money part is irrelevant in the big picture. She is not better. At all. No change, two weeks later. Today we go to the hospital lab to get swabbed for whooping cough because it's going around. Even immunized kids are getting it. But I'm thinking this is not whooping cough. It doesn't fit. But nothing else fits either and what do I know besides what I read online. Three doctors and a pulmonary specialist have no other ideas to stop the non-stop coughing - and by non-stop I mean every thirty seconds or less, all day and whenever she stirs at night. Poor thing is sore and hoarse and cranky. I'm helpless and clueless. I just try to keep little girl from going crazy from both the coughing and the boredom and hope time heals whatever the hell this is.

That's the news from here. Nothing good except that things could be worse and thank goodness they aren't. I read online about people breaking ribs from coughing, coughing like this for months, a hundred days. My girl, who is not so little any more has had episodes like this for the past 5 years, as her lungs take great offense to viral invaders, but she's always gotten better within days of treatment. Now we are into weeks and likely immuno -suppressed from the steroids and I am living in high alert mode, scared she's missed so much school and equally terrified to throw her back into the germ pool. I want to bubble wrap her and keep her safe, once I get her well.

And so it goes this winter at my house. Stay well out there. And thanks for listening to me whine.

Again.

21 comments:

  1. Ugh, wow. I'm so sorry - look at all that stuff, and still nothing is working? And I hear you about the insurance issue, that's been my biggest fear about going freelance. Even here in MA where supposedly we have things figured out. I'll believe that when I see it.

    Posts like this remind me of why I want so badly to study Ayurveda. First of all because I hate it when someone has a problem that I can't at least try to help with in some way. And second because look how much good the steroids and antibiotics are doing? And the doctors and a specialist can't offer an explanation? There has to be a better way, or at least another angle to consider in addition to the aleopathic medicines we have access to.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wished that one could return the medication prescribed that did not work. I mean really...what are you suppose to do with those expensive pills?

    First off so very sorry your daughter is this ill. All that coughing and I too would be on high Mommy alert!

    We too have BS as private subscribers since my husband is self employed. I am most unhappy with the rate hike(s). It is a slow kill that we have no other option besides not having insurance which I will not do.

    My heart goes out to your family...hoping that something VERY soon starts working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be so worried. I hope she gets better very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ask but figure they must have checked for whooping cough. It's really horrible that she's not better after all of this. My heart goes out to you, to all of you. I'm so sorry and am hoping and praying that she gets better soon. What a terrible situation, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the HELL!? I've been checking here every day, was about to phone. When I saw the new post, I thought "thankgod!" This is such crap!! If it turns out she has whooping cough, are there meds for that. Going to go online and check. You poor guys. I can't even talk about the insurance. Better to not. Oh how I wish there was something we could do. I'm gonna go google whooping cough. Love and hugs Meli D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antibiotics. Yah. F! d

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, Mel, I'm sorry. There is nothing harder than watching your child be sick. You would take it from her if you could, and you're doing the best you can.

    We are not getting any of the white stuff, just the freezing rain. Bah. Winter. Who needs it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the love and good thoughts. No change with the coughing, but we went back for xrays and the pneumonia is gone. Now it's just bronchitis until the whooping cough results are back, which apparently takes a few days. She's already on the antibiotics, so even if it is, we will be ahead of the game.
    Yes, bah to winter, bah to insurance and pharmaceutical companies. Bah to infectious viral bacterial crap. But - Hooray! for kind comments from blog friends. And hooray to knowing things will change, they always do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're not whining. I'd be screaming. I'd be weeping. I'd be bald from tearing my hair out.
    Oh darling.
    They have tested her for TB, right? I mean, no doubt she doesn't have it but...
    And yeah- why don't these damn lawmakers make the connection between the inability to buy private insurance due to the cost and the end of the small business person?
    ARGGGHHH!
    Okay. I am hoping that your daughter gets so much better so fast. Yes. Now. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, Mel! That just sucks. The poor thing! Sending all my love and healing vibes her way. And those doctors better figure it out! For crying out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When my oldest was in high school she came down with a mystery virus that sounds a lot like this one. It hung on for weeks. The doctor finally diagnosed it as a mycoplasma. Two links below tell you about it. Perhaps this is what your daughter has?

    http://www.edcp.org/factsheets/mycopl.cfm

    http://www.rain-tree.com/myco.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. well on the plus side your hell makes my mouse nightmare seem tame by comparison, on the negative side, well that seems to be pretty much everything else. this is so awful mel. yes OF COURSE you should 'whine' (even though this is not whine qualified, more releasing the pressure cooker type blogging) i actually INSIST ON IT. i have been wanting to know how things were. i feel so bad for your not so little little one. fingers crossed they figure it out, like, yesterday!!! where is dr house when you need his misanthopic self...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor girl! How frustrating! Your table practically looks like a pharmacy. You guys must be so worried. I hope you have a break through soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. email me. i have questions. something doesn't sound right

    michepatrick@gmail.com

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's good news about the pneumonia being gone! Bronchitis can make you cough - since I had asthma as a child (still have it, according to one doctor, just not acute "attacks"), I HAVE to use an inhaler to help get rid of any lung infection, because the bronchitis works synergistically with the illness. So maybe now it's just a case of taking care of the bronchitis? The bronchii must be so irritated and inflamed from all that coughing that it will be hard to stop, even with no infection. I certainly hope things get better. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Mel, you're allowed to whine,scream, rage, whatever. This is awful. The poor child . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Self insured as well, so know that pain. As far as your girl is concerned, I can't say anything to help you mama. She's your child and this is personal. So I will leave it at that. I'm really sorry for you all and I truly hope for the best. And if a virus's butt could be kicked, I'd come down there and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you and the little gal this morning. Hoping, hoping, hoping that she's getting better or you at least have some solid answers and a plan now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mel,
    I hope your girl is doing better. Thinking of you.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mel,

    Hoping your little girl gets this coughing kicked ASAP, it must be terrible. All those meds and still no change, I'm exhausted just thinking about it, your both going to get through this.

    Speaking of health care reform, my Meg has chronic headaches, sometimes it is plain agony for her. Health Care as we know does not cover this. So far $10000 worth of dental work(out of pocket), gobs of vitamins nothing seems to fix it. Our health care should cover our bodies everything! Eyes, teeth everything, shame on the Republican congress and everyone that supports killing heath care reform.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....