Saturday, January 22, 2011

What's New & Mysterious




Well, it's been quite a week. Thanks for all the concern and kind thoughts for my daughter. She is still coughing, still miserable, but otherwise healthy, except for bloating and mood swings from steroids. We are at a very mysterious and perplexing place with the diagnosis. After scoping her throat, the ENT doc determined the cough to be neurogenic, also known as laryngeal spasm and vocal cord dysfunction. Google mania also determined this to be post viral laryngeal neuropathy. In short, she is stuck. Doc said he's seeing more of this, particularly in young patients. More google-fu reveals it is most often seen in young, athletic, intelligent, previously asthmatic or allergic reaction, near onset of menses females. Bingo.

That's the good news. They know what it is. The not so good news is the treatment is anti-depressents usually given for neuropathy, and I'm not going there yet, or speech therapy for breathing control. We see the speech therapist on Tuesday, and by then, she will have coughed nonstop for 20 days. Usually, it is an intermittent thing, like recurring hiccups, but she has always been an overachiever.

She just woke up and I hear her coughing and I promised homemade, healthy waffles. Just wanted to share what I know and say thanks again, for the hints, the help and the kindness. Especially to Michelle, for offering her love and expertise and helping to guide me through this maze, and keep the panic at bay. Yes, the universe is abundant. And mysterious.

Here are some pictures from the past few weeks, the world outside my door. My little camera is refusing to focus lately, and the batteries won't hold a charge, so like my brain, the images are a little fuzzy. But they tell a story anyway.
























Stay warm and well out there.

15 comments:

  1. Mel,
    Sorry to hear about your kid...I absolutely HATE when mine are sick. In Colorado, this cough thing is going around too. For months now. I have no magic to impart (wish I did) but I am sending healing thoughts your daughter's way. Here's to easy breathing and less coughing!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures -- and at least you have a diagnosis.

    Hang in there, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relieved with a diagnosis but the cure is more patience and time...Sending more healing thoughts to your daughter. She must be beside herself with all this coughing. Young ones tend to feel it will be forever.

    Your photos of the snow...like cobwebs, so light looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, Mel. I guess it's a good thing to have a diagnosis, and I look forward to hearing what the doctor has to say on Tuesday. This is definitely a trying time. You are both in my thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last picture, Mel. I would follow that light into a dark forest.

    Here and hoping things improve soon for the woman-child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay warm. And here's a last-ditch attempt cough remedy- (I am almost ashamed to give you this- no, I never tried it on a child but none of my children ever coughed for twenty days in a row):
    Heat up two cups of water to almost boiling. Add the juice of a lemon and a quarter of a cup of honey. When it is all almost to a boil, add two shots of rum.
    Take off the heat.
    Split the potion with your daughter in two beautiful mugs.
    Okay. You might not want to try this but rum versus steroids?
    Well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, acupuncture has done wonders for me. Give it a thought for your daughter. I was having, amongst many, problems with my GI; esophagus and coughing. I have really been helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're having you wean her off the steroids, right? A little less each day but not an abrupt shut off? See, I just don't trust most doctors. The waffles are gone by now but its Sunday, stay warm and cozy. I say try the rum/honey mixture above! xo d

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous pictures -- and hugs to you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy for you that they at least know what is causing your daughter's problem. I had something similar myself this summer. Trips to emergency while on vacation, xrays, swabs, antibiotics and still - 6 weeks of incessent coughing and of course - loss of voice. Finally - after many trips to the walk in clinic (we're in Canada so it doesn't cost)my family (also naturopathic) doctor returned from a long trip. He checked my nasal passages and sent me home with nose spray. I was not impressed! BUT after a day and a half, I stopped coughing - just like that! Apparently something to do with my inflamed nasal passage.

    My first visit here -- love your blog and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's Tuesday. Good luck at the speech therapist! d

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you have a diagnosis. Somehow it is easier to accept things when you know what you are dealing with. I hope the treatment is successful - and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad there's a diagnosis and a course of treatment. And a teaspoon of honey now and then might help! Your winter captures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....