This is my father, Peter, with his pride and joy, his first boat.
This is my grandfather Pete, doing what he loved best - fishing on the bay.

Peter and Pete showing the catch of the day to Susan.
A good day on the water, and a good day's work.
A beauty, almost more than a man can lift.
Two brothers and a son - three men and a boat, a spark plug for bait,
and a 40 pound rock fish to show for the day.
My cousin Lee, who grew up to be a boat captain, a harbormaster and a master fisherwoman.
Like this photo of her, my earliest happy memories involve water and catching a big fish.
Like this photo of her, my earliest happy memories involve water and catching a big fish.
My dad taught me to dig for worms, bait a hook, be patient for a bite, reel them in slow, clean them and cook them and enjoy eating them. I caught my first fish when I was five. I remember. It was something. Yes, I remember - hot sunny days at the quarry, long days rocking on a boat, quiet days on the lake, fishing pole in hand, bait on the hook, waiting for a bite on the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, and the waters of the Delmarva Peninsula.
The fish are much smaller now, as the waters are overfished and the pickings are slim. But we have our photos and our fish tales to tell. We remember, and that is worth something.
Post inspired by the Sepia Saturday series.
Now that is a fine Sepia Saturday collection - loads of interest and loads of social history in those images.
ReplyDeleteSome great fish here. I used to fish, only in rivers, when I was a boy. I gave it up when I discovered girls!
ReplyDeleteI've never fished, we were too citified to even know how to bait a hook. I love your pictures, and it looks like you had a wonderful childhood.
ReplyDeleteI have early fishing memories too but for me, it was mostly about being on the water, whether in a boat or on a dock.
ReplyDeleteMy husband though- he'd fit right into your family. We ate some of his grouper last night.
These are a wonderful series of pictures! I especially found the one of your cousin Lee, and her story, fascinating! This past summer my 7 year old grandson caught his first fish ... an 8 lb salmon! Never have you seen a prouder little boy ... and, I'm sure, another future devoted fisherman for life!
ReplyDeleteWow! Now those are some fish. I've got family fish photos but they were caught in inland lakes and were much smaller! I remember catching my first catfish and throwing the whole rod in the lake.
ReplyDeleteI love this. Such a legacy. Wish there were still big fish in your waters.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
What a swell first boat your dad had! There's something so peaceful about sitting out in nature fishing...even from me someone who doesn't even really like the taste of most fish! Great story and family photos too!
ReplyDeleteimpressive catches!!
ReplyDelete:)~
HUGZ
I really enjoyed your photos.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Mel.
SB
Great photos. Great story. City girl, no fishing at all. From NYC went to coast of OR to visit Mamo and her old friend Keith was excited to take me out. I just prayed I wouldn't ruin everybody's day. "Oh poor fish." "Oh I can't put the bait on." "Oh it's rocky and cold." It was the best time I ever had. I brought those effers into the boat like crazy. I decided I wanted to be a professional fisherman, but I kept flubbing the words. Professional fisherman. Even now. Our fish were NOT this big!!! deb
ReplyDelete