Cough cough. Cough cough. Cough cough cough.
For 8 straight days and most of the nights.
My 100 pound, 13 year old daughter had a sore throat last week.
Two days later she started coughing. Non stop. Until she gags and retches.
We've had xrays, doctor visits, inhalers, steroids, two antibiotics, every cough syrup they make, with and without codeine, steam baths, controlled breathing, vaporizers, back rubs, you name it, nothing works. Nothing.
Eight days later she is still coughing non stop. A week of school missed, with midterms looming. No appetite, no energy, little rest, sore muscles, no voice.
It is the hardest thing I do as a mother, to try and stay calm, to reassure myself that there is nothing else that we can do but wait, and to be vigilant that she is getting enough oxygen and has no fever. But I am at DefCon 4, Orange Alert, and I have listened to her cough so long I can barely stand it.
Which makes me feel awful, because I can't imagine what she feels like.
Official diagnosis, pnuemonia, organism unspecified, acute bronchitis and cough.
We've been here many times before, but this is the worst bout yet. I'm trying to see through this and visualize her breathing easy, and sleeping. She keeps saying I'm sorry, Mommy, and that makes me feel awful too.
I give it two more days then I'm planning on freaking out. I'm hoping the new antibiotic can keep me from going there.
I don't know how moms with chronic, very ill children do it, I just don't. I never knew how weak and worthless and helpless I really was until I became a mom. I guess everyone just does what they have to, even if that means just leaving the room for a minute so you don't have to hear your child suffer, so you can come back in and offer what feeble comfort there is to give.
So far, I'm not liking this year at all. And I wasn't that fond of last year.
So that's what it sounds like at my house. Cough cough. Cough cough cough.
Cough, cough. Cough cough. Cough cough cough cough cough .... aaaargh.
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope she gets better so everyone feels better soon. My 10 yr old son had something like this in Sept. Second antibiotic was so complicated with instructions as to how much powder to use with how much water (a tiny bit) for a few days. Seemed to do the trick.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard missing all that school when they are her age. (((Hugs!)))
That was me above.
ReplyDeleteThere is not many things more stressful than seeing your kid sick...hope she feels better and the cough goes away. You're doing everything you can. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteoh mel, how awful for you and for her. hang in there, you are an awesome mom, and no one could do better than you with this impossible situation =( i'm sending you warm vibes and oceans of love and support <3
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, friend. This too shall pass, and she will remember how you helped her and loved her through this yuck.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Mel. I will carry you both in my thoughts and hope for a better day today. Unrelenting coughing becomes too much to bear.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've done everything you can, as have the doctors who are treating her. I had a nasty cough after a cold this fall, and it took quite a while to clear up. It was going around. I found that carrying menthol cough drops helped me a great deal, just sucking on one most of the time to keep from coughing my head off. Menthol worked best for me. Good luck, and I'm hoping you are past the worst of it by now...
ReplyDeleteGosh, this sounds awful. I hope you are trying to take care of yourself too. I really hope she feels better fast and this new year starts to feel lighter for you dear Mel.
ReplyDeleteAwful. Just awful. For her & for you!
ReplyDeleteThat feeling of helplessness when they are seriously ill...I hate that. And I am glad I am not the only mom who feels "feeble" and useless in the face of illness. My own mom was Florence Nightingale when there was someone to be nursed, that was her time to shine. She'd swoop in with soups and remedies and hot water bottles or cold cloths placed judiciously. My sisters and I have since compared notes on how often we faked sick just to get the attention and care. Me, when my two are really sick I feel overwhelmed and I don't know what to do, and sometimes I just have to leave the room too.
I have my fingers crossed for those antibiotics, and fast healing once she's over the worst! What a wretched way to start the year.
I know how this feels and it IS awful and oh, honey. I just hope with all my heart that she soon gets better and that you all have moments of peace which get longer and longer...
ReplyDeleteThank you, sweet blogger friends. We have seen the third doctor and are on a third round of meds and so far, it's not getting any better. I'm trying not to cry in the awful coughing bouts, and am hoping she turns the corner soon. Poor little thing. Thanks for the good thoughts. XO
ReplyDeletehang in there <3 *sends more warm vibes*
ReplyDeleteI'm frantically thinking of all kinds of advice to give you, but who am I kidding. You have done it all. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteOh god, Mel. How horrible. "I'm sorry mommy." Heartbreaking. I see this was posted on the 12th and there above on the 14th it's no better. So scary. This is one of those baby steps, keep your head down and just get us through this kind of things. Requiring, as always, extraordinary heroism on your part. Today's the 16th. I'm hoping, I'm hoping it's breaking up. We'll hold off on starting 2011 until this is over, 'kay? deb
ReplyDeleteOh no! Poor kiddo and poor you. Mom's always suffer along with the wee ones, don't we? I hope everyone is feeling better and soon.
ReplyDeleteI like to sit in a dry sauna when I have deep lung congestion. I'm convinced it just bakes the yuck right out of me.
ReplyDelete"breathing" mint tea. I use a wide cup or bowl that feels nice in your hand and then just inhale the steam and sip the tea. I guess this is kind of like the steam bath that you tried and didn't work.
Oh, and Vicks. My mom used to rub it on my back, neck, throat, and chest and then wrap me up tight in a towel. Oh, yeah you mentioned the backrub...
Yeah, basically, I got nothing. :/
Good luck, Mel! I hope you're all better soon.
Oh I'm so sorry, I hope she gets well soon. I remember several nerve wracking episodes with my own daughter. watching her with an eagle eye wondering do I take her to the emergency room now? over and over.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Mel!! I had pretty bad asthma as a child, involving numerous trips to the hospital... I can't imagine what my mom must have gone through. I feel like apologizing to her just thinking about it. I remember sitting up with her in the middle of the night in the bathroom, with all the taps on full hot water to make steam. And Vapo-Rub, with old towels on the chest to keep it warm and contained. That's old school - you've got all the new tools, which is great. I mean, sort of. When they start to feel like they're working. You are doing all you can do, though I know that's no comfort when you feel so helpless. Thinking of you - sending warm and healing thoughts. - Maggie (aka Naturegeek)
ReplyDelete