Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fall Wetlands and Headwaters

I've been going on lots of walks with the dog, thanks to the lovely weather, and the compulsive urge to get more lights lit up on my fitbit pedometer. It's raining today and I'm itching to grab the leash and the dog and go somewhere else wonderful.


63 acres of wetland preserve in the middle of suburbia.


It's the asters time to shine.


This is the start of the one mile loop we walk. But the park service has been busy cutting new paths into the area. I'm conflicted about that. Nice for the humans, not so much for the wildlife and habitat.


This is a new trail, and it was a little creepy. The cattails towered more than a foot over my head. I had no idea where the trail ended and my monkey brain kept looking for snakes or dead bodies, but there was none of that. I know, the dead body thing is not normal, and I blame it on a scary black and white movie I watched when I was very young, where a group of kids playing in the woods found a murder victim. Some things you'd rather not stick in your head forever.


No gruesome or creepy surprises, just scenery. The path ended at the wet part of the wetlands, and it was too muddy for a closer look.


Wooly bear!


Lovely blue skies and grasses.


Lovely yellow flowers, I'm pretty sure that's their scientific name.


I took some close up portraits. They were prettier in person.

Also this week, another trip to the Headwaters.
First stop, dog park.


You can see almost forever.


The prairie grasses are amazing.


Goldenrod is golden.


Tucker peed about a hundred times. See him there in the corner? I'm pretty sure he was just going through the motions, he had to be peed out.


The new haircut and the cooler weather have him a lot more frisky. Usually I'm dragging him along, and this time, he had to wait for me.


 Come on, mom.


It's the aster's time at the Headwaters too. There are lots of whites and a few purples.


Didn't get a good shot of the purples, but they are in there.




I never cease to be amazed at how tall the prairie grows, tall enough to hide a grown man standing upright. I feel small here, but in a good way.


Until next time,
maybe the woodland or riverside trails are up next....

xo

7 comments:

  1. I've always had that finding-a-dead-body fear too. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord. I thought I was the only one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great shots! And he's sure looking better since the haircut and grooming. I love the sky pictures especially. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to use your pictures as my desktop backgrounds for my laptop. Did you know that? I thought you'd like to know :) I always appreciate seeing your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I live near wetlands and they really do have their own special kind of beauty.

    Lovely yellow flowers are my favorite scientific variation : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felix and Tucker would be friends. And they could sniff anything gross they found.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....