Thursday, March 11, 2010

0 to 50


This is me, 2 months old, and already spent almost half my life in a box. I was an incubator baby, which I sometimes think explains a lot.

This is me, 50 years later. I'm not ready for this milestone, but time flies whether we like it or not. I've always felt older on the inside, and in most ways that is a good thing. But these days I feel really old inside and out, thanks to life, creaky bones, horrible hormones and insomnia. I'm hoping to rally sometime soon and enjoy whatever comes next, hopefully grow some more laugh lines, gain some more wisdom, or perspective or grace. Greedy, I know.


These are the pretty flowers from my baby sister, which made me cry, because that's what I do now that I am older. The card said
I can't believe you're 50. I'm right behind you. I can't believe it either, and I'm glad she is, so I can help show her the way. Now, if I only knew where I was going.

We have a tradition of sending each other ridiculous funny birthday cards, usually about memory loss, as we grew up amidst Alzheimer's and dementia, and we've found our bleak and black senses of humor to be very handy over the years. Here's my favorite and it cracks me up every time I look at it. I hope I get to go out laughing.

11 comments:

  1. Ah yes. Well, let me say this- the first five years of my fifties were pretty, pretty hard. But the past year has been better. There have been some benefits I have discovered to aging. I'm not going to lie to you! It hasn't all been hosannas and happiness, but I think I am feeling a bit of mellowing and acceptance.
    Does that help?
    By the way- you were a darling baby and you are a gorgeous woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That card is hysterical, and you look great. Nice to see you. Happy Birthday, and many, many, more.

    Love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy, happy day! As my friend recently said on her monumental birthday, "It beats the alternative!" Hope you have a wonderful birthday! (LOVE the card!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! The 50's are a time to just kick back...relax and enjoy anything you choose. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband hated 50 but I told him it was the new 22 and then he was ok and had another piece of cake, and all was well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those flowers are GORGEOUS

    and Happy Birthday, Beautiful xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Mel! Look at your beautiful face, then & now! I think it's OK to be greedy, actually I think it's good to be greedy. More grace, more wisdom, more laughter...more life! I am wishing you all of those things.

    PS Re: the insomnia, have you tried melatonin? It has been saving my life lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful for the simple reason that your inner light keeps the wonders of youth fresh all about you. 50 is an artificial landmark like any other invented by humans. Think of it this way: what other race would pretend to keep time inside a little tin can called a clock? I rest my case. Happy B-day and to next 50 filled with good health, love and good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday, Mel! I hadn't realized how much I was anticipating turning 50, so much so that I got mixed up and started telling people that I was 50 LAST year, when actually I turn 50 THIS July. I love your 0-50 pictures and wish you a very fulfilling 50th year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Psst. I'm right behind you. :)

    That's a great photo and you look so un-50!

    So, the decade birthdays. This is how they went for me:

    10 = Toys!
    20 = Meh, only one more to go!
    30 = I can't believe this!
    40 = Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

    I can only hope I handle 50 with your style. "I'm not ready for this milestone, but time flies whether we like it or not." Indeed.

    Here's to greed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birtday, a tad belated it seems, rats--but no less heartfelt for all that. yes tonight is actually a time i am thinking of, as one of your commentors put it, artificial landmarks, so it seems appropriate that insomnia would blow me over here. never much cared about the number-the silliness of such things rather delights me-but the significance of where i am, where i would rather be, where i thought i would be, well they can weigh a bit too much. also other people's expectations of 'age' particularly my age...

    i know you have expressed some of the concerns of your age re health stuff, but whatever got you to be such a wise a wonderful gerd is something i am so grateful for-hard as some of it may have been, it made you the wonderful person i do rathe love, rather a lot at that! <3

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....