Friday, March 19, 2010

Snowdrops!



At least I think that's what they're called. I can't remember planting them this fall and I don't remember them blooming here before, which is odd because I'm pretty ocd about the flowers in the woods. I've been trying to reestablish the oak-hickory understory so it can support wildflowers and a few cultivated pretties for over a decade. It's an epic battle against brambles, vines and buckthorns, marauding raccoons and deer. It requires burning now and then, which I hate, so I've only done it twice. I take pictures every year, to help me remember what blooms where and when and I don't have one of this beauty, so it must be new. I will quit trying to figure it out and accept that my memory is on a long vacation and just enjoy this happy surprise in the woods. And maybe plant some more, because they are awesome.

10 comments:

  1. Very lovely and spring-like.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever managed to remember a plant's name - but plants are very good about these things and don't seem to mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are going to be my soul food this Spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a dainty little flower...all in the big woods! It does make you wonder how it got there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. EVERY year I see things in the woods AND in my yard which I don't remember ever seeing before. How does this happen? I'm so glad it's not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely! thank you for letting me know you were posting too. I will be sure to stop by more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite signs of spring. And your pictures are gorgeous! Happy First Day of Spring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fairies' umbrellas I used to call them when the children were little. It was my way of teaching them not to pick flowers unless they asked someone if it was alright. I told them a tall tale about being the Fairies umbrellas they left out to dry and that if they took them the Fairies would get wet, maybe even get a cold and how awful would that be?

    Bad mother teaching nomenclature, but they never took a single flower from anywhere without asking permission first, and who knows? maybe the Fairies never got wet again...Happy Spring, my dear Mel. These little umbrellas are making me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty! What fantastic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A visitor. It heard this neighborhood was happening again and came to see. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....