JESS3 / The State of The Internet from JESS3 on Vimeo.
JESS3 designed and animated this for the JESS3 lecture at AIGA Baltimore in Feb 2010.
Fascinating look at the digital world. Found on Twitter, thanks Ashton, copied from Vimeo, posted to blogger, cross posted on Twitter, and emailed to a few friends. Hah!
In the great timeline of online life, how many applications have you used? It's about a dozen for me, and I didn't know how may were out there I never knew about!
What did we do before the digital age? If I couldn't google information I'd be driving a reference librarian insane. Because I Need To Know. Right Now!
What I also need to know is why, Blogger, why, when I save a post as draft and publish it later, it doesn't show up as a new post, but on the date I first started it. I'm not as smart as I wish I were. So this post shows up twice this month, because I got a great comment from Ellen on the first buried post. I'm sure there has to be an easier way!
Here's what Ellen said:
ReplyDeleteI use to use a phone book or even ages and ages ago the Operator (hahaha!). I used a dictionary (a large very heavy book that I donated to the library several years ago), a thesaurus, the library for reference info...but now I use google constantly for everything when it comes to info, spelling, and that is just the wee stuff...there is so much at our fingertips for knowledge that I can't put a value on it of it's worth in my life.
My son seems to use the Web for all material when it comes to school. Use to be you would check out all of that at the school library...now it seems like libraries are only used when at school.
You can learn how to make or do things rather than take a class (but I still want face to face for me) like knitting, cooking, makeup applications, hair cutting, etc.
Let's face it blogging has bitten into the need to see friends for coffee and a chat for many people. Let alone a talk on the phone. Emails the same or chatting online...
I am curious to read what others respond to of this...Wow!
Ellen I moved your comment to the reposted version, hope you don't mind.
ReplyDeleteMy kids use the internet almost exclusively for research too, it's so different, as I love to get my hands on a book. I've found though, for books I own, the information can get out of date quickly, especially Atlases and such. We don't live in a library district, informational gulag! So I rely on the internet so much more than I used to for research.
I love youtube for learning how to do things, it's amazing what's out there. I have found so many educational resources on line that I can sit here the rest of my life learning stuff. Online classes, free, even. It's nutty.
I've become more ADD about information now that I have access to all I want. They say googling is changing the way our brains process information. We're becoming scanners, instead of readers. Small price to pay for access to all the information in the world!
PBS ran an interesting documentary called Digital Nation this year. It looked back at a previous documentary done a 2 years ago, and it was interesting to see how things have changed in such a short time. The final analysis had also changed...more positive.
ReplyDeleteMy son has a design firm and never leaves the computer from home except for maybe 3 days a week in which he stops into his coop office. Or flies out to a client. I find this fascinating that one can work from anywhere in the world...and love the whole concept. But I do see the internet changing in ways I'm not that happy with. 1. homogenization, 2. commercials/advertising increasing.
But over all... my life would be very dull without it.
Loved the Vimeo clip! Great post!
oop, guess i posted in the wrong place??? i'll repost here just in case...
ReplyDeleteiiiintttterreeeesting. although for me not so much with the video viewing cause of the ancientness of my comp. the vimeo vid was super laggy and stopped working towards the end *sigh* i hate that they keep making software for web/comp things that requires you to get the newest gadget to run it. i am a big recycle re-user, so that part of the net bugs me...but the meeting cool new friends part rocks, as does feeling more connected to my irl friends who are a tad too busy for us to meet up. but for me, nothing really replaces hearing someone's voice. as i type i am on skype listening to friends play wow, and chatting bout our days and such. it's nice, cozy, and i can do it in am pjs xD
March 23, 2010 10:51 PM
Dahling- on the "post options" change the time and date. Done. Simple.
ReplyDeleteI had to ask my son how to do this.
Oh Ms. Moon, it was so easy once you told me I had to laugh! Thanks for setting me straight!
ReplyDelete