Lightning came down the east and west side of this oak, spraying one foot chunks of bark fifteen paces away in a huge arc. The tree is split vertically down the middle at least 8 feet up, I suppose as the water vapor exploded into steam, and a small piece of bark is impaled into the wood as though from a tornado. An awesome display of instantaneuos, benign destruction. I will miss this tree. It was the oldest offspring of the three dying old ones.
But the forest floor is wakening, despite the cold and wind. Trilliums and Mayapples popped while I was away, and the large colonies of dogtooth violets. I'm partial to purple mottled leaves and shy blossoms.
The nanking cherry I bought as a twig is full of blossoms. Early bulbs are everywhere. Tulips that were small sprouts when I left are heavy and glorious now. I've filled vases.
It is all good, except for the dead tree, and that's just the way it is.
i always feel so sad when a beloved tree dies :(
ReplyDeletebut pretty flowers to help ease the pain for sure
Mel--thank you SO much for these blog comments of late. They have been exactly what I have needed to hear. I have so much to say back, but for now I will just say thank you for reading, for HEARING me, and for taking the time to let me know your heart too. This is my best thing about blogging and I appreciate it beyond measure.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I think the "waking in the middle of the night" thing was definitely attributed to alcohol...a sad fact for me to admit, but true.
Have such a good weekend, and I can't wait to read your blog too, and get to know your heart as you have done mine.
Steph
Thank you for the picture of the tree. It strikes me (did I make a pun?) that death by lightning is fast, not a moment to linger, regret, or worry.
ReplyDeleteI can almost smell those cherry blossoms.
Thank you, Mel.
I am thanking you, too. Funny how we find each other, isn't it? Why and how? No more reason than random lightening and yet, strong and profound. Beautiful pictures and I feel I am walking along with you.
ReplyDeleteNice photos, Mel. Hope all is well with you.
ReplyDeleteLove,
SB
So sorry about the tree Mel. I'm glad it has you to mourn it.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos, esp that second to last one. What a stunning flower. Wow.
Oh, these pics are swoon-worthy. Is it really all blossomy, gorgeous spring somewhere? We are still at sear, brown and dirty. The flowers here know better than to wake up yet, there will probably still be snow. But O how it stirs the soul on this chilly grey morning to see those cherry blossoms!
ReplyDeleteSorry about the tree though. :(
Now that things are blooming here, I can see all the magnolia trees that were super damaged by that last big snow storm. I have a couple lilac bushes down.
ReplyDeleteBut I have to believe nature will move them forward. As she always does.
Lovely spring photos
as a fellow tree lover thought you would understand my saddness--reno monsters are cutting down the tree outside my window *cries*
ReplyDeleteYou photos and description got right to the heart of the sadness we feel when losing a tree, especially in such a sudden and violent way. And then your flower photos illustrate beautifully this whole mix of life, death, and everything in between. A lovely post!
ReplyDelete