Saturday, April 17, 2010

Early Spring & Vitamin D Therapy

This year, the ferns are up two weeks earlier than last year; the trilliums three weeks earlier. One more night of frost warning and I think we're in the clear. I am astonished that the lightning struck oak is budding out. Shows you what I know about just how much bark cover a tree needs to survive. It's going to be tough going for him, I'm sure of that. Why do I think he's a boy? I'm not sure, and a botanist could tell me what kind of oak he is, which I forgot, and if oaks have sexes, and maybe he's a girl because of all the acorns this fall. The old me would have googled it and been sure. The new me is just glad to watch the drama unfold. I am happy beyond description that the redbuds I planted in Dad's memory are budding out, I thought this winter did them in. Again, shows you what I know, which isn't much.
Here are some pictures of the woodland floor and pretties in my yard for you to enjoy.













18 comments:

  1. Nature is breathtaking! I could sit for quite sometime in contentment while observing the delicacy of flowers....all the shapes,shades of color, to wait to see an unfurling of a fern frond..it is all a mystery and calming....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh!!!! gorgeous pics! Thank you. I have that same first daffodil for the first time this year and they really delight me.
    so glad your dads redbuds are coming up.
    and your tree is still alive.
    and you are taking it all on.
    oh those curly ferm photos really got to me.
    love love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! The ferns are so grACEFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! You captured the ferns beautifully. That purple pinwheel-shaped flower is especially intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have magic in your backyard. That's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. Bruce was just saying tonight that ramps are up early as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretties! Is that a Jack-in-the-Pulpit? Best name ever. The tree LIVES! Tough guy. Is Tuck able to go out and play? deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like Spring from here, we went out today and because we don't have enough plants, we got some more. Yes, I know I am a plantaholic and there is no hope for me. I truly hope you don't get anymore frosts. Our last is predicted for next weekend, then my tomatoes will march from the greenhouse into the raised bed and the fun will really begin. SJ and Angie are coming from bloglandia to visit and I can't wait. I hope we can show some sunshine to SJ and drink some tea outside. Would you like to join us? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are delightful. Jack in the Pulpits, emerging leaves, exotic wild flowers... Like the title too about D therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos. I hope all is well.

    Love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos Mel. Man, between your blog and Bethany's I just may have to grow something this year...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that frilly yellow one a daffodil (somewhere my mother is cringing that I even needed to ask)? I've never seen ones with so many layers. Simply gorgeous.

    My pride and joy peony is on the verge of bloom, any minute. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the nice comments, and a few answers. The puppy is all better now, clean bill of health and off antibiotics, hooray.
    The yellow flower is a double narcissus, I think, but I call it a mutant daffodil, my mom would cringe too, she knows them ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mel, I'm in love with your unfurling ferns, like living sculpture.

    We planted redbuds too, during an epic drought--but you never know that a few months without rain will turn into two years without rain, do you?--a variety that (theoretically) copes with our poor alkaline soil and intermittent drought. I've lost a couple but the others came out this spring with flowers and foliage. I share your amazement at the tenacity of life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. which is the redbuds?

    sooooo happy the tree lives in spite of hardship-- a testament to the hardiness of life in spite of overwhelming odds.


    I adore your pics--nourishment for the soul =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seren, the redbud is the last picture. The leaves are heart shaped when open and the tree flowers in lovely soft pinky purples, but I don't think I get flowers this year, since they come before the leaves. Glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooo sounds lovely mel--can you take pics at those different redbud stages as well? they sound so pretty. wonder why it didn't flower this year--i would have liked to seen that. the universe deprived me of that pfft =P

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....