Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm Rich










This lovely shade of purple is my only biennial, called the money plant for its shiny coin like seeds. It is also known as Lunaria annua, Honesty, Satin Flower and Moon Wort. The first year it looks like a weed, the second year it blooms in profusion , a happy surprise every time. Even better, it leaves translucent circular seed pods that resemble fifty cent pieces that kids can use for pretend money. They look lovely in dried arrangements too, so this little plant gives a lot of bang for the buck.

I love the deep veins and symmetry of the blossoms, and like how they transform from little cups to crosses as they mature. They make me wish I could draw or paint their lovely lines. I have a bag filled with coins to scatter around my gardens, and have to be patient for their lovely blooms in 2012.



Rich.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! All we need do is take the time to really look at our outdoor heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, indeed. Love it.

    How do we all survive winter when we could have this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the wealth! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel

    While I don't have Honesty growing here I did have it in my home in New Zealand many moons ago and loved to use the dried stalks in the winter in floral arrangements. I don't remember the pretty flower. So thanks for the glimpse.

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich indeed, a shared wealth that brings smiles and hope for greater riches as the Summer cautiously move in your direction. Mother Earth is generous and wise to those who understand her ways. You do. Feel blessed, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soooooo rich. I love those coin seed pods. Never knew where they came from. Pretty pretty flower too. I so want to play in your yard. deb

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, tell me what you think....