A little from my mom's side of the family, and quite a few cars.
Their daughter, my mother Harriett, working on the farm in the 1940's. There was nothing she could not do. And yes, she's actually driving the tractor in this picture.
Alternate means of transportation for Harriett. This was a working horse.
Harriett with her date, thankfully things did not work out. Frances sewed the outfit. John built the house himself, to retire in. but he didn't get more than a few years there. (I remember that we were allowed to ring the dinner bell when we visited as kids. )
She instead chose a man who looked to be trouble, my dad Peter, but he turned out to be anything but. He enlisted, got shipped overseas as the war was ending, and my mom followed him to Germany. Her parents sat for their first and only portrait to send to them.
My parents married in July 1955 in Mannheim-Sandhofen Germany, living there for another year before Dad's tour ended. They were married almost 53 years. They had this painting commissioned by an artist who worked from the newspaper clipping. He did a pretty good job. So did they.
Great collection of photographs...
ReplyDeleteAnd what a multi-talented family! Jo
ReplyDeleteWow! That's a beautiful family, and very multi-talented. Is there nothing you cannot do either? :-)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful to have a place to share these memories? I am more impressed all the time with the creativity of the blogs I follow.
First, your header photo is stunning! Your family is beautiful and so happy, with cool cars, and other means of transportation, from tractors to horses! Also your photo the day before the blizzard a remarkable day!
ReplyDeletea very amazing array of photos and comments. A very talented group of folks...I think the portrait from the photo is amazing too.
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Wonderful pictures and story! There's nothing you can't do either!
ReplyDeleteI am fascinated by old photos. I wonder what was being said when it was taken. The thoughts and what was 'outside' the frame of the photo. Thank you for a glimpse of your family... :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful hat she is wearing in the 4th photo!
ReplyDeletelovely collection of pictures. your mom on the tractor amused me. and your dad? not bad for someone who was labelled a bad boy... 53 years?! not something we see often nowadays. it's great when people make it to 53 months...
ReplyDeleteand your grandma, Frances: that was quite a hat she had on!!
:)~
HUGZ
A wonderful post with terrific photos! And the previous post of the snow was great!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful post. I think the trait runs in the family "nothing she/he could not do."
ReplyDeletejust curious, my family (fathers side)is from Horntown, VA and I am John H Hickman IV, is this part of the same Family tree?
ReplyDeleteOh boy. Here we go again. These are great. I've had a note on my desk for a month or so. When I revisited your bolsa it reminded me. You, sort of: "remind me to tell about a letter grandma Elimly wrote that daughter Emily made me find." Just remindin'. Deb
ReplyDeleteThe photos are all great and getting a painting commissioned really made their wedding photo special. Great, fun post.
ReplyDelete