Yesterday was one of those days. Melancholy in the air. Grey skies, more snow. Tired and achy and moody. Brittle. I found myself alone on a country road as a freight train passed by. The song on the radio and the view out my window perfectly captured how I felt at that moment. And I had my camera.
What made me sad was this. I am home. There is no home to come home to in the summer. So here I am. Waiting for summer to happen in this home, where I have transplanted myself. I guess some days I feel almost rootless, and easily blown over.
Ray Lamontagne is one of my favorite performers. His voice is haunting, and his songs are very real. Here's another clip, not so sad.
Some still pictures from my Superbowl Sunday drive:
Today, at least, there is sun, and I feel grateful to have a place to call home.
And Mel is hoping to be less melancholy and more mellifluous in the days ahead.
I thought that song melded perfectly with the train. I'll have to check this performer out, Mel. No need to pretend to be anything you aren't. I just read this wonderful line: "You can't force the heart."
ReplyDeleteWait- I am confused. You have no home in the summer? What does this mean?
ReplyDeleteMelancholy is what I feel too.
Well. We shall be released from that grip sooner or later. You know we shall.
Don't ya just love DJan...she always has just the words. This winter sure has been a tough one...making it difficult to not feel melancholy...right there with you. thanks for the tunes. Hugs...and wishing you sunshine...and if you don't get any...well then lots of vitamin D3. ha!
ReplyDeleteDJan, you are so right. Thanks for that line.
ReplyDeleteMs Moon, I said it wrong, I have no other home to go to, since I never leave this one. Kinda stuck, but feeling like I need somewhere to run back to. Yes, it's comforting to know this too shall pass.
Maggie, yes, DJan always cuts to the heart of the matter. I'm so tired of this winter, it's snowing again, and I've had enough, and now the deep freeze is coming, sheeese! I'm taking so much vitamin D per my doctor that I wonder how much worse I'd be without it! Wishing you sunshine too.
I tried posting earlier and it didn't take. Boo.
ReplyDeleteTake two: Snow sucks. I totally get it. Can't wait until I feel the sun on my face again.
I like what the first commenter, Djan said: "You can't force the heart."
ReplyDeleteBe Mel-ancholy if that is what you are right now. As you said to me once, I think your blues are beautiful. Beautiful photos and song, and the long train on a February day.
Ah Mel, it is the overlong harsh winter and the times we are living in. Melancholy is seeping in. Make some soup.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog today and for leaving a comment. It looks like you and I have a lot in common. I could listen to Ray Lamontagne for hours to purposefully get melancholy --
ReplyDeleteI totally understand melancholy. I am convinced that part of it is the clouds and the cold and snow. I know I will feel better when I can get out for a decent walk, and complain about the sun...
ReplyDeleteHang in!
Hard not to be melancholy in such weather. I've heard that many people are helped by sitting under some kind of light bulb (full spectrum?) that mimics sunshine. I haven't tried it but boy, do I head for the sunny windows -- when there is sun. Tat and visit a few favorite blogs in Chile and New Zealand where it's summer now.
ReplyDeleteWe were having the same day on Monday. I am sorry I wasn't here then, but I am here now, wishing you a Saturday full of peace and light and love. Take care.
ReplyDelete*HUGS*
ReplyDelete